Saracens 12-6 London Irish, Aviva Premiership, January 8
Farrell boots Sarries past Exiles
January 9, 2011
Date/Time: Jan 9, 2011, 15:00 local, 15:00 GMT
Venue: Vicarage Road, Watford
Saracens 12 - 6 London Irish
Attendance: 7013  Half-time: 6 - 6
Pens: Farrell 4
Pens: Malone 2
Saracens fullback Alex Goode is mobbed, Saracens v London Irish, Aviva Premiership, Vicarage Road, Watford, England, January 9, 2010
Saracens fullback Alex Goode is mobbed by the London Irish defence
© Getty Images

Four penalties from the boot of young fly-half Owen Farrell were enough for Saracens to see off London Irish 12-6 at Vicarage Road on Sunday and ensure that Brendan Venter was given a winning send-off as the club's director of rugby.

Farrell's efforts from the tee eclipsed two strikes from London Irish fullback Chris Malone, meaning that the Exiles slipped to their 10th straight defeat in all competitions.

Venter was in charge for the last time before returning to South Africa with his family and he leaves with Sarries in second place in the table, six points behind leaders Leicester. Irish, without a win since October 31, are now down to seventh with their hopes of a play-off place fading fast.

Early pressure forced Irish to concede a seventh-minute penalty, but Farrell's kick struck the inside of the near post and rebounded clear. When presented with the chance to make amends four minutes later, the fly-half managed to strike the opposite post.

It wasn't long before Saracens were back in the Irish half, earning a third opportunity for Farrell, and this time his penalty attempt flew straight between the sticks to give the hosts a 22nd-minute lead.

In their first effective attack Irish put Saracens under pressure at a scrum and earned a penalty for offside which Malone kicked on 28 minutes. Saracens found themselves behind five minutes later when Malone kicked his second goal following a ruck offence, but the hosts surged upfield and levelled three minutes before the break with Farrell's second successful kick, again awarded for offside.

Referee David Rose ended a very ordinary half by awarding Irish a penalty when Carlos Nieto entered a ruck from the side, but Malone's kick cannoned off an upright and wide.

Irish made the more positive start to the second half, pinning Saracens in their own half, but they wasted a potential scoring situation in front of the posts with first a knock-on and then a penalty conceded at the scrum.

With both defences strung across the pitch, breaking the gainline was difficult in the face of very resolute tackling, and time and again deep kicks were used in an attempt to pin opponents back. Tempers flared in the 55th minute, and when Rose had calmed things down, it was Irish who benefited. Malone's penalty sailed wide.

When Saracens finally returned to the Irish 22, a sustained attack was halted illegally and Farrell made no mistake with his third penalty on 65 minutes. It was difficult to separate the teams as they repeatedly snuffed out each other's attacks, but the customary rash of replacements in the final quarter did create a bit more room.

Irish then put Malone under pressure with a pass that Saracens read and hunted down. The fullback was penalised for not releasing, and Farrell hammered home his fourth penalty, this one from 40 metres. Saracens appeared to be finishing the stronger, although they could not break down the Irish defence.

Just when the game seemed secured, Irish managed to battle their way into the home 22 with a penalty kick to touch for a lineout three minutes from time, but the home defence stood firm, and after a succession of drives, Irish lost possession.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.