Newcastle Falcons 16-16 Worcester Warriors, Aviva Premiership, November 4
Falcons fight back to hold Worcester
ESPNscrum Staff
November 4, 2011
Date/Time: Nov 4, 2011, 19:45 local, 19:45 GMT
Venue: Kingston Park, Newcastle
Newcastle Falcons 16 - 16 Worcester Warriors
Attendance: 7013  Half-time: 6 - 13
Tries: Mayhew
Cons: Gopperth
Pens: Gopperth 3
Tries: Perry
Cons: Carlisle
Pens: Carlisle 2, Goode
Falcons battle back to hold Warriors

Newcastle Falcons snatched a dramatic 16-16 draw in their Aviva Premiership basement battle with Worcester Warriors at Kingston Park on Friday night.

In front of a crowd of 7,013, the Falcons were trailing 16-9 with three minutes to go and looking a poor second to the Warriors but suddenly the Newcastle pack found another gear and drove Mike Mayhew over for a try which Jimmy Gopperth converted to level the match.

Worcester had opened the scoring with a Joe Carlisle penalty after five minutes when Ally Hogg strayed offside. However, Hogg made amends with a pulverising drive which eventually led to Gopperth levelling matters 12 minutes.

Carlisle's high kick was taken by Greg Goosen but the Warriors pack turned it over and Newcastle were offside again for Carlisle to put Worcester back in front at 6-3 in the 20th minute. But Worcester conceded a soft penalty at the line-out two minutes later and Gopperth restored parity once more.

Newcastle were struggling to find any distance with their kicks and an appalling slice from Rikki Sheriffe allowed Worcester to drive into the Falcons 22 and Shaun Perry looped around Carlisle, with the fly-half offloading in the tackle for Perry to score. Carlisle's conversion put the Warriors 13-6 ahead.

Newcastle tore into Worcester early in the second half to gain a penalty after seven minutes which Gopperth kicked for 13-9 to give the Falcons hope.

Alex Tait scythed through the Warriors defence and a try seemed certain but Corne Uys just failed to hold the pass which Tait popped up as he was hauled down inside the 22.

With 12 minutes left Andy Goode kicked a 45-metre penalty which looked to be the final act until that dramatic match-saving effort from the Falcons.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.