Quins table new offer for Evans
October 17, 2012
Nick Evans must decide whether to accept a new three-year contract from Harlequins © Getty Images
Harlequins have confirmed they have offered fly-half Nick Evans a new three-year deal in the hope he will extend his stay at The Stoop.
The 32-year-old Evans is out of contract at the end of the season and is understood to be weighing up lucrative offers from France and Japan but the Premiership champions are determined to hang on to the Kiwi who is widely regarded as one of the best No.10s in the world.
"There is a new contract on the table. We want him here for another three years and hopefully that will happen," Quins boss Conor O'Shea told the Daily Mirror. "We've offered him what he wants in terms of length. It's up to him now. We've put our best foot forward."
O'Shea is confident that Evans' decision regarding his playing future will be based on what is best for his family and not on the money. "But Nev would have left here a long time ago if it was about money," he said. "It's about making the right decision for him, his family and the long term. If he decides to leave we'll move on, but there's not a player at the club, nor a coach or supporter who doesn't want him here.
"People say he's one of the best players in Europe and even the world. Suffice for me to say he's so exceptional I'd pay to watch him train."
Evans, who is currently sidelined with an ankle injury suffered during Quins' Heineken Cup victory over Biarritz last weekend, has expressed his gratitude to the club for not making him rush his decision.
"Conor has been fantastic," Evans said last week. "There is no pressure either way. For me it is about gathering as much information as I can for post-rugby as well as where my family are going to be best suited over the next three years.
"It is great that I am not being forced into making a decision and I really applaud the club for that. It would be easy for them to put the pressure on for me to make a decision."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.