Guinness Premiership
Falcons battle to vital victory
March 31, 2010
Date/Time: Mar 31, 2010, 20:00 local, 19:00 GMT
Venue: Kingston Park, Newcastle
Newcastle Falcons 25 - 13 Gloucester Rugby
Attendance: 4275  Half-time: 13 - 6
Tries: Biggs
Cons: Gopperth
Pens: Gopperth 6
Tries: Taylor
Cons: Robinson
Pens: Robinson 2
Newcastle hooker Rob Vickers grapples against the Gloucester defence, Newcastle v Gloucester, Guinness Premiership, Kingston Park, March 31, 2010
Rob Vickers battles against the Gloucester defence
© Getty Images

Newcastle Falcons struck a vital blow in the fight against relegation with a 25-13 victory over Gloucester at Kingston Park.

England Sevens wing Tom Biggs, recalled to the side, struck the vital blow with a first-half try while Kiwi pivot Jimmy Gopperth weighed in with 20 points from the tee.

Gloucester struck back in the second-half with a score from replacement fly-half Tim Taylor but remain stuck in mid-table. Newcastle move level on points with Harlequins and have some breathing room prior to Sale and Worcester's vital meeting on Friday night.

Both sides started nervously but with positive intentions and it was Newcastle who looked the sharper up front. A driving maul and quick burst by Tane Tu'ipulotu ended in a seventh-minute penalty from Gopperth which gave the Falcons the lead.

Gloucester spurned a great chance to register the opening try when Lesley Vainikolo burst through but Charlie Sharples spilled the ball just metres from the line with no Newcastle player in sight, before Biggs almost went over at the other end after he chased his own kick through.

But Biggs did score when he got on the end of Tu'ipulotu's pass after the big centre had surged through the Gloucester defence. He was brought down just short of the line but got in his pass for Biggs to cross. Gopperth converted for a 10-0 lead after 15 minutes.

Fly-half Nicky Robinson got Gloucester on the board with a 19th-minute penalty as the Cherry and Whites went up a gear but big tackles from Biggs and Josh Afu on Sharples and Rory Lawson kept them out until Robinson kicked a second penalty after 28 minutes.

Newcastle ended the half on top after several forays through their forwards and Gopperth was off target with a drop goal after Ed Willamson's surge, but the Kiwi was on the mark with a 39th-minute penalty after some powerful carries from Jon Golding, Williamson and Filipo Levi saw Gloucester penalised for not rolling away in the tackle.

Gopperth stretched Newcastle's lead to 16-6 two minutes into the second half with a penalty when Gloucester handled in a ruck and another followed in the 51st minute when the Falcons overpowered the visitors' scrum.

But fullback Alex Tait's knock-on opened the door for Taylor to surge through for a try converted by Robinson in the 60th minute to bring Gloucester back into the game at 19-13. Gopperth was wide with a long-range penalty attempt but then gave Newcastle breathing space with another big kick in the 65th minute.

The former Wellington stand-off then hammered over a 45-metre shot in the 65th minute to put Newcastle 22-13 in front.The Falcons' forwards sensed victory and piled in to win another penalty in the 69th minute. Gopperth banging over his sixth three-pointer to seal the win.


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.