RaboDirect PRO12
Ulster open with win over Warriors
ESPNscrum Staff
September 2, 2011
Report Match details
Date/Time: Sep 2, 2011, 19:05 local, 18:05 GMT
Venue: Ravenhill, Belfast
Ulster 28 - 14 Glasgow
Half-time: 15 - 11
Tries: Cave, Henry, Marshall
Cons: Humphreys 2
Pens: Humphreys 3
Tries: Nathan
Pens: Weir 3
Ulster's Ian Humphreys and Paddy Wallace celebrate victory over Biarritz, Ulster v Biarritz, Heineken Cup, Ravenhill, Belfast, Northern Ireland, January 15, 2011
Ulster No.10 Ian Humphreys kicked 13 points in Belfast on Friday night
© Getty Images
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: RaboDirect PRO12
Teams: Glasgow | Ulster

Ulster recovered from an early setback to kick off their RaboDirect PRO12 campaign with a 28-14 victory over Glasgow Warriors at Ravenhill on Friday night.

Glasgow silenced the home fans with an early try from Troy Nathan but although Duncan Weir landed two penalties, the Warriors trailed 15-11 at the break, with Paul Marshall and Darren Crave both having crossed for Ulster and Ian Humphreys contributing five points with the boot.

Weir reduced Glasgow's arrears to a solitary point when he landed another kick on goal early in the second half but Humphreys replied in kind for Ulster before Chris Henry sealed victory for the province when he crashed over with just five minutes to go.

It was by no means a straightforward win as the visitors opened the scoring after 10 minutes when Nathan barged over the line near the posts, shortly after Colin Shaw was held up in the left corner. Referee Leighton Hodges went upstairs to the television official and the score was given, but Duncan Weir was wide with the easy-looking conversion.

Ulster were stung into action and responded with a Humphreys penalty before Cave snaffled a try following Ian Whitten's mazy run when the Ulster centre intercepted a pass from Colin Gregor to Stuart Hogg. Humphreys added the easy extras and Ulster led 10-5 after 20 minutes.

The remainder of the half saw neither side carve out a concrete scoring chance but then a careless slap-down of the ball from Lewis Stevenson allowed Weir to slot his first kick with a 40th-minute penalty to cut Ulster's lead to 10-8.

Ulster again responded and after the impressive Nevin Spence had won the restart back for the home side, the ball was moved right and, from a Dan Tuohy drive, Marshall nipped over in the right corner for a well-worked score which Humphreys was unable to convert.

That should have seen Ulster through to the break but four minutes over the 40-minute mark, Weir goaled a long-range penalty after Ulster failed to roll away in the tackle and the half ended with Ulster's lead cut to four points.

The Warriors came tearing out of the traps in the second half and Ulster were fortunate to escape with only a penalty under their posts when Weir narrowed their lead to one point in the 47th minute.

Still, Humphreys immediately struck a long-range reply to put his side 18-14 up and then, just before the hour mark, landed a penalty from halfway to give Ulster some breathing space.

After that, Ulster again resisted some serious pressure from the Warriors but finished the stronger, although Humphreys was wide with a 73rd minute penalty.

However, they got their reward for so much late pressure when Henry barged over near the posts late on, with Humphreys adding the extras and putting Ulster well clear.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - German GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open