Ospreys 26-21 Connacht, RaboDirect PRO12, September 30
Five out of five for Ospreys
ESPNscrum Staff
September 30, 2011
Report Match details
Date/Time: Sep 30, 2011, 19:30 local, 18:30 GMT
Venue: Liberty Stadium, Swansea
Ospreys 26 - 21 Connacht
Half-time: 17 - 10
Tries: BJ Davies, Dirksen
Cons: Biggar 2
Pens: Biggar 4
Tries: Duffy 2
Cons: N O'Connor
Pens: N O'Connor 2
Drops: N O'Connor
Ospreys fly-half Dan Biggar attempts a shot at goal, Aironi v Ospreys, Magners League, Stadio Luigi Zaffanella, Viadana, Italy, May 6, 2011
Fly-half Dan Biggar kicked 16 points for the Ospreys against Connacht
© Getty Images
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: RaboDirect PRO12
Teams: Connacht | Ospreys

The Ospreys soared to the top of the RaboDirect Pro 12 League after extending their unbeaten start to the season with a 26-21 victory over Connacht at the Liberty Stadium on Friday night.

The home side were indebted to tries from Barry Davies and Hanno Dirksen as well as 16 points for outside-half Dan Biggar. Connacht deserved their losing bonus point, with No.10 10 Niall O'Connor securing it with the last kick of the game after skipper Gavin Duffy had gone over for two tries.

The Ospreys made the more positive start as a Biggar kick to the corner put Connacht under severe pressure. Connacht secured the subsequent line-out but outside-half O'Connor's clearance kick was caught by skipper Justin Tipuric. The ball was moved impressively along the backline before centre Tom Isaacs put full-back Davies over in the left corner. Biggar put over the conversion as the Ospreys led 7-0 after six minutes.

Connacht had a chance to get on the scoreboard with their own try but wing Tiernan O'Halloran's wayward pass to Duffy, who was free in the left, went into touch.

The home side enjoyed plenty of possession but it was Connacht who scored next to level after 24 minutes when pressure under the Ospreys' posts led to Duffy being put over in the right corner for a try converted by O'Connor.

But a penalty from a scrum 35 metres out was kicked by Biggar to restore the Ospreys' lead after 30 minutes. And five minutes later Ospreys were over for their second try. A Biggar free-kick bounced off Tipuric's shoulder right into wing Dirksen's hands and the wing had a free run in by the posts.

Connacht had the final say of the half with O'Connor kicking a penalty as Ospreys led 17-10 at the break. And there was better news for the Irishmen after the break when by Ian Gough was handed a yellow card for a high tackle.

But despite being down a man it was the Ospreys who scored next with a Biggar penalty from close to halfway as the Ospreys led 20-10 on the hour.

The Ospreys could never relax, however, and Connacht stunned the home side with their second try when Duffy went over in the left corner after a fine kick ahead from Niall O'Connor.

The Ospreys kept their noses in front and went two scores ahead with Biggar putting over his third penalty. But that was cancelled out by an O'Connor drop-goal just a minute from normal time, although the kicking duel continued as Biggar kicked a fourth penalty four minutes into injury time.

Though Connacht lost they had the final say with O'Connor's penalty in the 88th minute securing them a losing bonus point.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.