Ospreys in two minds over Johnson successor
January 2, 2012
Scott Johnson will be leaving the Ospreys at the end of the season to link up with Scotland © Getty Images
Ospreys chief operating officer Andrew Hore has revealed that the region has yet to decide if they will seek an outside replacement for Scott Johnson or appoint his successor from within.
Johnson has confirmed that he will step down as director of rugby at the end of the season to take up a coaching role with Scotland.
Consequently, the Ospreys must now decide if head coach Sean Holley or forwards coach Jonathan Humphreys are ready for the top job at Liberty Stadium.
"We've been talking for a long period of time about where to go from here, that kind of thing," Hore is quoted as saying by BBC Sport. "What we want to do now is sit down and look at the blueprint.
"We started this exercise four years ago to bring him [Johnson] in to help develop those coaches and that coaching staff and put those systems in place.
"And we've just got to review that now and make a decision on whether we bring somebody else in, that maybe the process needs to be finished.
"Or, are we happy with where we're at and go with from within, as we said? And then it's who, from within, is going to head that up?"
Hore admitted that the Ospreys had been taken by surprise by the timing of the announcement of Johnson's imminent departure.
"With some directors being away, obviously with the festive period and that, we just haven't had a chance to sit down because it [the news] came out a little bit earlier than we expected," the former Wales fitness coach said. "So yeah, we've got a bit of work to do yet."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.