Benetton Treviso 8-13 Glasgow, RaboDirect PRO12
Glasgow close in on play-off place
ESPNscrum Staff
April 22, 2012
Report Match details
Date/Time: Apr 22, 2012, 15:05 local, 13:05 GMT
Venue: Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso
Benetton Treviso 8 - 13 Glasgow
Half-time: 5 - 3
Tries: Williams
Pens: Burton
Tries: van der Merwe
Cons: Jackson
Pens: Weir 2
DTH van der Merwe celebrates a try, Glasgow Warriors v Leinster, Magners League, Firhill, Glasgow, Scotland, September 3, 2010
DTH Van der Merwe crossed for a crucial late score for play-off hunting Glasgow
© PA Photos
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: RaboDirect PRO12
Teams: Italy | Scotland

Glasgow remain on course for the RaboDirect PRO12 play-offs following a last-gasp 13-8 victory over Treviso on Sunday.

DTH van der Merwe marked his comeback from injury with the try three minutes from time as Glasgow finally saw off a spirited Treviso effort. Glasgow retained their place in the top four and Sean Lineen's men will carry a four-point cushion into next weekend's game against Connacht. But for long spells today it appeared as if Treviso would leave with the spoils and they took the lead after 10 minutes with a try from Brendan Williams.

Italian fly-half Kris Burton launched Tommaso Benvenuti through a gap before wing Williams beat the Glasgow cover defence to score his sixth league try of the season. Burton missed the conversion as the heavens opened in northern Italy, prompting Glasgow to keep the ball in the forwards.

After a 20th-minute drive from Alistair Kellock, Treviso lock Corniel Van Zyl was caught offside at the ruck and Duncan Weir slotted home his first penalty for Glasgow. Treviso scrum-half Edoardo Gori and Kellock were sin-binned for fighting after half an hour and the Italian side retained their narrow lead into the interval.

Burton then missed a drop-goal effort before Glasgow full-back Stuart Hogg launched a counter-attack, which saw Graeme Morrison go within yards of the Treviso line. The Italians strayed offside and Weir kicked Glasgow into the lead for the first time in the game after 61 minutes.

Treviso hit back with a Burton penalty five minutes from time and it appeared as if they would close out the victory when Ruaridh Jackson missed a shot at goal. But Van der Merwe proved Glasgow's match-winner on his return to action after recovering from the shoulder injury he suffered at the World Cup.

He cut through the Treviso defence to touch down in the 77th minute and Jackson's conversion wrapped up the narrow victory.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.