- 2015 Rugby World Cup
'We have no plans to segregate fans at World Cup'
The organisers of the 2015 Rugby World Cup have rubbished suggestions there will be supporter segregation for next year's tournament.
Reports last week suggested the organisers were exploring the idea with a view to improving the atmosphere at the tournament's games. Following widespread criticism on social media, IRB CEO Brett Gosper tweeted a denial of the reports and England Rugby 2015 CEO Debbie Jevans has echoed Gosper's sentiments with just 500 days until the tournament starts.
"To be absolutely clear: we have no plans to segregate fans," said Jevans. "The beauty of what we're doing is that we don't have to worry about segregation, and there won't be any segregation."
Gosper said on Tuesday: "It showed what rugby fans really value about the way rugby crowds are managed. It was a great bit of advertising for rugby almost.
"I think it was conjecture. There has never been an intention to segregate the crowds. It was never discussed at a serious level. We are definitely against that, and everyone will sit together."
Ian Ritchie, the RFU chief executive, backed the plans to stick with one of rugby's oldest traditions. He said: "It's not a principle that fits with how rugby is perceived, and it is not going to happen."