Scotland 12-8 Ireland, Six Nations
Scots claim gutsy victory over Irish
February 24, 2013
Date/Time: Feb 24, 2013, 14:00 local, 14:00 GMT
Venue: Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Scotland 12 - 8 Ireland
Attendance: 67006  Half-time: 0 - 3
Pens: Laidlaw 4
Tries: Gilroy
Pens: Jackson
Scotland's Kelly Brown lifts the Centenary Quaich, Scotland v Ireland, Six Nations, Murrayfield, Edinburgh, Scotland, February 24, 2013
Scotland captain Kelly Brown lifts the Centenary Quaich following his side's victory over Ireland at Murrayfield
© PA Photos

Scotland kept their Six Nations title hopes alive with a stunning 12-8 victory in their clash at Murrayfield.

Match Analysis by ESPNscrum's Graham Jenkins

  • Man of the Match: Scotland caused Ireland all sorts of problems at the lineout with much of that pressure coming from lock Jim Hamilton whose industry throughout kept his side in the contest.
  • Key Moment: Ireland blew two try-scoring opportunities in the first half that could have changed the pattern of the game. Luke Marshall served up a forward pass to Craig Gilroy with Scotland stretched to breaking point and Keith Earls was guilty of not passing to Brian O'Driscoll with the Scots in a similar state of disarray.
  • Hero of the Game: Scotland scrum-half Greig Laidlaw landed four all-important penalties and stopped Ireland's Brian O'Driscoll in his tracks just short of the Scots' line as the visitors pressed for a late score.
  • Villain of the Game: Scotland's defensive effort was superb throughout but it was a shame to see blindside Rob Harley take Ireland counterpart Peter O'Mahony out while in the air. It was dangerous and he was very lucky not to see yellow as a result.
  • Talking Point: How can one side dominate a contest so emphatically and not come out on the right side of the result? Ireland claimed 74% of possession and 71% of territory and dominated the gainline but crucially failed to make it pay.
  • Play of the Game: A moment of madness from Ireland's Ronan O'Gara handed the game to the Scots. His decision to chip the ball into a crowded midfield with a little over five minutes on the clock back-fired with Scotland's Tim Visser hacking on and his team-mates flooding through in support. Ireland failed to re-gather the ball and it resulted in the Scot's final penalty that gave them precious breathing room.

Greig Laidlaw kicked four penalties for Scotland but the home side trailed 3-0 at half-time and should have been dead and buried, with Ireland enjoying an extraordinary advantage in possession and territory only to be hamstrung by poor decision-making and inaccuracy in the 22. When wing Craig Gilroy scored the match's only try in the 44th minute, the Irish finally seemed ready to reflect their dominance on the scoreboard.

But the score inspired battered Scotland, and Scott Johnson's players launched a stubborn fightback that drained the confidence from their opponents and renewed their own self-belief. Laidlaw's flawless kicking swept them clear as they celebrated their first back-to-back wins in the Six Nations since 2001, having routed Italy two weeks ago.

Injury-depleted Ireland's decision to play uncapped Ulster duo Luke Marshall and Paddy Jackson produced mixed results, with the former enjoying a strong debut and the latter a harrowing afternoon. Marshall's powerful running at inside centre was a key feature of his side's attack and he looked comfortable at this level, although at times he was aided by weak defending.

But Jackson, chosen ahead of substitute Ronan O'Gara at fly-half, missed eight points from the kicking tee and was replaced by the Munster veteran with 15 minutes to go. The change in personnel failed to stop the rot, leaving Ireland to wonder how they managed to lose a game they should have won comfortably, and it is a result that increases the pressure on coach Declan Kidney.

Jackson's first touch was a knock-on of Conor Murray's pass but the next was far more accomplished as he showed smart footwork to break the gain-line. Referee Wayne Barnes was heavily involved in a opening that burst into life when Marshall powered between two weak tackles before sending a long pass to left wing Keith Earls.

Earls was held up just short of the line and then Brian O'Driscoll was kept out in virtually the same spot. Ireland failed to capitalise on an attacking line-out, but it did not matter as Marshall surged through the midfield for a second time.

Once again he looked to find his wing, but this time he should have gone it alone with the whitewash beckoning and his pass fell harmlessly at the feet of Gilroy. Scotland lost prop Ryan Grant to the sin bin for failing to retreat 10 metres at a free-kick, but Jackson was off-target with his first shot at goal.

The error count and frequent intervention of Barnes robbed the match of momentum, but in the 25th minute Ireland were back on the offensive when a switch with Jackson sent Earls hurtling into space. Crucially, however, he isolated himself from the supporting O'Driscoll and was scolded by his former captain as a result.

Full-back Stuart Hogg and wing Sean Maitland showed quick thinking to steer Scotland out of their 22, only for a forward pass to centre Matthew Scott to end their best passage of play. Finally Ireland, who had dominated the preceding 35 minutes, were off the mark courtesy of a Jackson penalty that came after the Scottish line had been vigorously tested.

For all their possession, however, they led only 3-0 and would have seen that slip had Hogg's long-range penalty on the stroke of half-time not fallen inches short. The try they desperate needed arrived through Gilroy three minutes after the break with the strength of O'Brien cracking the Scottish defence to start the move.

Full-back Rob Kearney was heavily involved before the ball was slipped to Gilroy on the blindside and the Ulster wing span before touching down. Jackson missed the conversion and then a penalty, contrasting with Laidlaw who slotted three points from in front of the posts.

Scotland were playing with far greater conviction and urgency, with Maitland almost wriggling through, and when Ireland's scrum crumbled Laidlaw landed a second penalty. The momentum of the game had shifted completely and suddenly it was Scotland who were in control, a fact rewarded when Laidlaw nudged them ahead for the time as the final 15 minutes beckoned.

Ireland could see the match slipping from their grasp and responded by replacing Jackson with O'Gara, but his missed clearance only invited more pressure. Substitute David Kilcoyne conceded a penalty and Laidlaw obliged, and a grandstand finish was set up when the Scots infringed in front of the posts and O'Gara kicked for the corner.

The stage was set for Ireland to snatch victory, but O'Driscoll ran into his own player and Scotland were awarded a five-metre scrum. There was still time for one throw of the dice, however, when the Scots conceded a penalty at the set-piece in injury-time, but Marshall knocked on in midfield and the game was over.

© Getty Images
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.