News in Brief
Fourie hit with four-week suspension
September 13, 2009
Springboks centre Jacque Fourie attacks the Wallabies, Australia v South Africa, Tri-Nations, Subiaco Oval, Perth, Australia, August 29, 2009
Springboks centre Jacque Fourie has been punished for a reckless challenge on All Blacks centre Ma'a Nonu © Getty Images

  • Springboks centre Jaque Fourie has been suspended for four weeks for a dangerous tackle on Ma'a Nonu in last night's Tri Nations Test in Hamilton.

    Fourie, represented by Aaron Lloyd, appeared before Sanzar judicial officer Paul Tully at a hearing held in Hamilton today after being cited for a dangerous tackle on Nonu in the 70th minute of the match. Fourie told the hearing that the lifting tackle was not intentional, but reckless, and was at the lower end of the sanction scale.

    After viewing video evidence and hearing submissions, Tully found that Fourie had made a reckless lifting tackle which was clearly dangerous and placed the player in a vulnerable position when he landed on his neck and shoulder.

    Fourie's suspension starts on the weekend of September 26 and 27 after the player said he was not playing next weekend for recovery reasons. He suspension runs up to and includes October 19.

  • All Blacks winger Sitiveni Sivivatu will miss next weekend's final Tri Nations rugby match against Australia after being injured in last night's game against South Africa in Hamilton.

    Sivivatu, who scored a try in the Springboks' 32-29 win, left the field with 10 minutes to go.

    All Blacks Doctor Deb Robinson said Sivivatu had suffered a groin strain and would be out of rugby for four to six weeks. "He was running at speed, sidestepped and then felt a strain in his right groin," Robinson said.

    The All Blacks head to Wellington today to prepare for the match against Australia on Saturday. A decision on whether a replacement player will be called into the All Blacks or not will be made in due course.

  • Toulouse scrum-half Byron Kelleher may face charges after an alleged incident in the French city.

    A source told rugby365.frhe witnessed a drunk Kelleher being injured in a street brawl after a car chase. The incident happened after Kelleher allegedly crashed into another vehicle, the Sunday News reported.

    He faces up to two months on the sidelines in France's Top 14 competition, after injuring his shoulder following the alleged scuffle with the damaged car's owners. Toulouse-based newspaper La Depeche du Midi also reported the former All Blacks halfback required hospital treatment for a fractured bone in his face. French police said Kelleher, 32, had been drinking before the incident.

    The fan said a scuffle broke out after the car owners confronted Kelleher and his friends. Punches and kicks were traded before Kelleher was knocked down. Kelleher was arrested and held in custody overnight.

    Toulouse prosecutor Michel Valet said police were investigating whether to lay charges.


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.