News In Brief
Sheridan may be out for 6 months
October 26, 2009
Andrew Sheridan is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines with a shoulder injury
© Getty Images
- A top orthopaedic surgeon has disputed Sale Sharks' claim that prop Andrew Sheridan will only be out of action for four months.
Sheridan dislocated his shoulder during his club's Heineken Cup clash with Cardiff Blues on October 16 and it was subsequently confirmed that the England international requires a full reconstruction of the joint.
Sale claimed that Sheridan faced a four-month spell on the sidelines but Simon Moyes, of Wellington Hospital, is of the opinion that the player is unlikely to be in a position to return to the rugby field until April at the earliest.
"To determine the extent of the injury I would expect he had a scan followed by a surgical repair with either open or arthroscopic surgery," he said.
"Patients (in these cases) are normally in a sling for six weeks and then undertake an extensive physiotherapy/rehabilitation programme. I would therefore expect Andrew Sheridan to be out of action for at least six months from the time of surgery."
- London Wasps centre Dominic Waldouck has been ruled out of action for four weeks with a fractured cheekbone.
The 22-year-old midfield ace suffered the injury in a sickening clash of heads with teammate Serge Betsen during Saturday's 35-6 win over Gloucester and will go under the knife on Monday afternoon.
"It's disappointing to lose Dom at this time of the season," Wasps director of rugby Tony Hanks said. "He's been playing some really good rugby for the us and must have been asking questions in terms of national selection.
"Knowing Dom, he will use these four weeks constructively to ensure that he picks up from where he left off come December."
It is a massive blow for Waldouck as he had been tipped for inclusion in the England squad for the November internationals.
- Blue Bulls winger Bryan Habana is expected to be fit for Saturday's Currie Cup final clash with the Free State Cheetahs at Loftus Versfeld.
The Springbok star strained his hamstring during his side's victory over Western Province last Saturday week but has been cleared to return to training on Monday.
In a further boost for the Bulls, Chiliboy Ralepelle has made a swift recovery from a stress fracture and is also likely to be available for selection for the Currie Cup decider in Pretoria.
- Brive have announced the sacking of head coach Laurent Seigne with immediate effect.
The former European champions spent heavily over the summer but have made a disastrous start to the new season and currently lie 11th in the Top 14 and bottom of their Heineken Cup pool.
Seigne has paid with his job and his dismissal comes less than a week after the resignation of Honorary Club President Patrick Sébastien.
"We regret Laurent Seigne's departure," Director General Simon Guillham said. "He took our club into the Heineken Cup and contributed enormously to our success over the past few years.
"On a personal level I enjoyed working with him. The club wishes him well for the rest of his career."
- Worcester director of rugby Mike Ruddock has revealed that he is on the look-out for a new tight-head prop.
Ruddock is currently shorn of the services of four tight-heads, with Tevita Taumoepeau having dislocated two fingers in Saturday's home defeat by Harlequins to join Olivier Sourgens, Matt Mullan and Shaun Ruwers on the injury list.
However, he is not confident of securing some much-needed front row cover in time for Sunday's clash with Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park.
"There is not a huge amount of tight-heads in the market place. Most of the good ones are contracted elsewhere," he told BBC Hereford and Worcester. "It is a difficult position to pick players up for, there are not a lot of coaches who want to give up their tight-heads to come and play for another team."
- Lamont Bryan has secured a contract with Harlequins for 2010. The 21-year-old Londoner, who can place at centre or lock, first signed professional terms with the club in 2008 but was not offered a new deal for 2009.
However, after ending the season as the reserve team's top try-scorer, Bryan has been granted a second chance with Quins.
"When I first signed a contract I mistakenly thought 'this is it, I have made it'. I've learnt a lot over the last year and understand that you have to strive and work hard for what you want," he said.
"I'm really excited about my new deal and looking forward to rejoining the first team next season. I want to prove to everyone that I can earn a place in the squad and have set myself some very important targets."
Harlequins coach Brian McDermott believes that Bryan fully merited his new deal.
"Lamont has turned his career around. He deserves a lot of credit, and I'm sure we'll see more of him in first-team action next year."
- Steve Martin has announced that he is stepping down as Otago head coach after three years at the helm. The province's chief executive Richard Reid revealed that the search for a successor would begin later in the week week .