News In Brief
Leinster upbeat on Sexton injury
April 11, 2010
Leinster's Jonathan Sexton celebrates snatching a draw, London Irish v Leinster, Heineken Cup, Twickenham, England, January 23, 2010
Leinster No.10 Jonathan Sexton fractured his jaw in Friday night's win over Clermont Auvergne © Getty Images

  • Leinster fly-half Jonathan Sexton could be available for the semi-finals of the Heineken Cup despite fracturing his jaw in Friday night's 29-28 quarter-final success over Clermont Auvergne at the RDS.

    It was initially feared that the injury might sidelined the Ireland international for at least a month, thus ruling him out of his province's last four clash with either Toulouse or Stade Francais in three weeks' time.

    However, a Leinster source told the Sunday Independent that Sexton is in line for a swift return to action after successfully having a metal plate inserted into his jaw on Saturday morning.

    "If it happened to you or I you probably wouldn't have had the operation done, but because of the physical contact it needs to be stabilised," the source said. "There was only minimal displacement."

  • Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy has dismissed a report that he has approached Mike Brewer about replacing Jason Robinson as the club's head coach. It was claimed in a Sunday newspaper that Brewer had been offered the chance to make the move to Edgeley Park but Kennedy insists that the story is wholly inaccurate.

    "I know Mike Brewer through the Scotland RFU but to say I have approached him to take over is rubbish," he told the club's official website. "I received a phone call the other day from another journalist linking us with Dean Ryan, but that too is unfounded as I have never spoken to Dean in my life."

  • Wycliff Palu is facing at least six months on the sidelines after suffering a knee injury in the Waratahs' Super 14 defeat by the Crusaders on Saturday night.

    The Wallabies back-row limped off shortly after the hour mark in the game in Christchurch and Waratahs coach Chris Hickey does not believe that Palu will play again this season.

    "We have still got to confirm the initial diagnosis, but out medic feels pretty confident he (Palu) has done the cruciate ligament and the medial ligament as well,'' Hickey said.

    "If the diagnosis is accurate then he will probably have to go straight in for a knee 'recon'. That's five or six months' rehab so that will finish his season. It is a big loss for us. Cliffy is an important part of the team on and off the field."

  • The Cheetahs have been rocked by the news that Kabamba Floors has been ruled out the remainder of their Super 14 campaign through suspension.

    Floors picked up the ban after being found guilty of a dangerous tackle on Brumbies fullback Julian Huxley in the closing stages of Saturday's defeat in Canberra. With just five rounds of the regular season remaining, Floors will not play again this term unless he successfully appeals the sentence.

  • Stade Francais back-row James Haskell has revealed that the Parisians prepared for Sunday's Heineken Cup quarter-final showdown with French rivals Toulouse with a day at a police SWAT camp.

    The England international explained that the team-bonding exercise, arranged in the wake of Stade's 29-0 Top 14 defeat by Toulouse last month, had been a gruelling but thoroughly worthwhile experience.

    "We were driven to the SWAT camp outside Paris, split into teams. I was asked to lead a team of five Stade players, and handed Glock 17 rifles and riot shields," Haskell told the Daily Mail.

    "Our first task was close combat, where we stormed a building to take out three armed robbers. Simon Taylor, the Scotland back row, was on my team and suggested negotiation - but we were under strict orders to shoot to kill.

    "Mirco Bergamasco, the Italy winger, got covered in powder after a fake grenade exploded at his feet, but we managed to kill two robbers and one prisoner.

    "Then it was on to the police dogs. Two of us wore arm protectors and got attacked by a huge German Shepherd before we hit an assault course, which was pretty tiring, especially as we had to carry colleagues on stretchers. The worst bit was being in a smoke-filled pit which caused a number of coughs and sore throats.

    "Finally, we hit the shooting range where we used machine guns, shotguns and pistols to round off a great afternoon. As I have firearms licences and have always been into shooting, it was a perfect way to spend a day with my team-mates."


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - Mexican GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open