Ireland 21-23 South Africa, Aviva Stadium, November 6
South Africa hold off Irish
November 6, 2010
Date/Time: Nov 6, 2010, 17:30 local, 17:30 GMT
Venue: Lansdowne Road, Dublin
Ireland 21 - 23 South Africa
Attendance: 35517  Half-time: 6 - 13
Tries: Bowe, Kearney
Cons: O'Gara
Pens: Sexton 3
Tries: Aplon, Smith
Cons: Lambie, Steyn
Pens: Steyn 3
Juan Smith's momentum is too much for Rob Kearney, Ireland v South Africa, Aviva stadium, Dublin, Ireland, November 6, 2010
Juan Smith scores the first try for South Africa
© Getty Images

Ireland's homecoming to Lansdowne Road ended in frustration as they slumped to a fourth successive Test defeat after their late fightback fell just short against South Africa with the World Champions winning 23-21.

Trailing 23-9 with 15 minutes to go, the appearance of Ronan O'Gara from the bench coincided with a scoring spree that almost reeled in the Springboks. O'Gara, who was winning his 100th cap, teed up a try for Tommy Bowe with a crossfield kick and then supplied the scoring pass for Rob Kearney's touch down.

Presented with a touchline conversion to level the match, the Lions fly-half struck the upright and Ireland failed to trouble the scoreboard again in the remaining five minutes.

Rows of empty seats greeted the teams at kick-off, a result of the ticketing fiasco that forced the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) to issue an embarrassing apology on Monday. Forced to buy tickets in two-match packages £166 or £131, many supporters had voted with their feet in a PR disaster for the IRFU.

Those that had turned up saw South Africa take an early lead when Morne Steyn kicked a penalty to land his 39th consecutive shot at goal. The Springboks were denied the chance to make real inroads by two thunderous tackles from Ireland, who were hunting runners in small groups.

Feeding off scraps in the opening 10 minutes, Ireland almost profited when Brian O'Driscoll chased down Cian Healy's fly-hack but fullback Gio Aplon did a good job of clearing the danger.

Signs of rust were evident as Irish passes failed to stick and it was poor handling that enabled South Africa to extend their lead. An Irish line-out saw Eoin Reddan attempt an ill-advised pass meant for Luke Fitzgerald but the lurking Juan Smith intercepted before completing the 65-metre race to the line, riding a tackle from Rob Kearney as he crossed the whitewash. Steyn converted.

A rare sight greeted the Aviva Stadium shortly after the interval as Steyn missed his first shot at goal in 42 attempts. No.8 Jamie Heaslip finally generated some momentum for Ireland with a bulldozing run, but South Africa secured the turnover.

Steyn proved his missed penalty was just an aberration as he slotted a third, but once again Sexton replied in kind in a cagey third quarter. Ireland saw a lineout throw stolen by Victor Matfield but the ball ultimately fell to Stephen Ferris only for the Ulster back row to knock-on when offered a glimpse of the line.

Steyn was inexplicably replaced by debutant substitute Patrick Lambie whose first act was to miss an easy penalty. South Africa soon forgot the blunder, however, when Zane Kirchner performed a scissors with Aplon who cut inside Kearney and touch down under the posts with Lambie converting.

Ireland replied when Bowe grabbed Ronan O'Gara's crossfield kick - with the help of a kind bounce that wrong footed Aplon - to run in a try that rekindled Irish hopes. O'Gara converted and a second try looked certain when Heaslip broke free down the left wing, but he ignored his support runners for too long.

The pressure continued, however, and a long pass from O'Gara fell to Kearney who raced in at the right corner. O'Gara's conversion hit the right post and canny South Africa managed to stem the green tide in the final five minutes.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.