Glasgow 30-18 Edinburgh, Magners League, December 27
Glasgow grab win with late rally
ESPNscrum Staff
December 27, 2010
Report Match details
Date/Time: Dec 27, 2010, 17:35 local, 17:35 GMT
Venue: Firhill Stadium, Glasgow
Glasgow 30 - 18 Edinburgh
Half-time: 10 - 12
Tries: Evans, O'Hare, van der Merwe
Cons: Jackson 3
Pens: Jackson 3
Pens: Blair 6
Glasgow's DTH Van Der Merwe scores their first try against Edinburgh, Glasgow v Edinburgh, Magners League, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow, Scotland, December 27, 2010
Glasgow's DTH Van Der Merwe scores their first try against Edinburgh
© PA Photos
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: Magners League
Teams: Edinburgh | Glasgow
Grounds: Firhill Stadium

Late tries from Max Evans and Hefin O'Hare snatched a 30-18 victory for Glasgow against Edinburgh at Firhill on Monday evening.

Glasgow had been trailing 18-16 after six penalties from Edinburgh fly-half David Blair, but O'Hare crossed ten minutes from time and Evans touched down minutes later to overturn the scoreboard. DTH van der Merwe had earlier scored for Glasgow while Ruaridh Jackson landed three penalties and all three conversions.

The match proved to be a typically feisty affair as referee Andrew Macpherson sent Richie Gray and Ross Ford to the sin bin in the second half before handing out red cards to Glasgow replacement Chris Fusaro and Edinburgh lock Scott MacLeod following a mass brawl in the dying moments.

Glasgow made the better start but were punished for early moments of ill discipline as Blair knocked over two penalties to put the visitors ahead. The home side's cause was further hindered when Scotland centre Graeme Morrison was carried off after just 13 minutes after being injured in an innocuous tackle, Pete Murchie his replacement.

But Glasgow responded in fine fashion, following up a penalty from Jackson by claiming the game's first try in the 26th minute. Flanker Rob Harley seized Edinburgh's restart in his own 22 and burst through three tackles before feeding Canada winger Van der Merwe, who showed great pace to race in from over halfway for his sixth Magners League try of the season, converted from out wide by Jackson.

Edinburgh battled back as Blair added his third and fourth three-pointers, one of which was earned by a great break from full-back Jim Thompson, to take advantage of a miss by Jackson from close range and give his side a 12-10 interval lead. The two fly-halves exchanged penalties early in the second half before Glasgow lock Gray foolishly came in at the side of a ruck and was sent to the sin bin, Blair once again taking advantage of the indiscretion to make it 18-13.

Edinburgh could not add to their tally while Gray was off the field and they then lost a man of their own as hooker Ford was given a 10-minute break for infringing, Jackson trimming the deficit to two points. Sean Lineen's men regained the lead with 10 minutes remaining as scrum-half Colin Gregor freed O'Hare for a run to the posts, converted by Jackson.

Evans then sealed the win six minutes later as some impressive side-stepping cut the Edinburgh defence apart allowed him to dot down under the posts for Jackson to again convert. There was still time for more drama as Macpherson, who had struggled to impose himself all night, sent Fusaro and MacLeod off following an ugly mass punch-up.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.