Six Nations Quiz
January 29, 2013
What is the inside of the Six Nations trophy coated with?? © Getty Images
On the eve of the Six Nations, we have dug out some absolutely belting questions to put you in the mood. Some of them are devilishly hard, but then quizzes are not fun if they are easy. There are a total of 35 points on offer from the 25 questions so see how you fare and at the end, have a look at what team your score makes you.
1. In the history of the Five/Six Nations- which country has the most outright titles?
2. What is the inside of the Six Nations trophy coated with - and for an extra point - why?
3. Since the Six Nations started in 2000, which country has conceded the fewest tries in a single campaign?
4. Which match produced the biggest winning margin in Six Nations history? And for two extra points - name the two players who grabbed a brace of tries in the Test.
5. Who is the youngest player to play a Five/ Six Nations match? A point for each
6. Who has the most overall individual tries in Five/ Six Nations history?
7. How much did the RFU pay for Twickenham when they bought the plot back in 1907?
8. Who has made the most appearances in Five/ Six Nations for England?
9. Who is the BBC's big-name new pundit for this season's Six Nations?
10. Name the five players to have got two yellow cards in a single tournament. Point for each.
11. Which player has the most tries in an individual match in Five/ Six Nations history?
12. Which team has conceded the most tries in a tournament?
13. Who has scored the most tries for Italy in the tournament?
14. What is the Calcutta Cup made out of?
15. What is the Italian for 'Wooden Spoon'?
16. Who has the most points in Five/ Six Nations history?
17. Which nation has scored the fewest tries in a single campaign since the first competition in 2000?
18. Who has captained their side the most in Five/Six Nations history?
19. What did Scotland's ground Murrayfield first get in 1994?
20. Three players have received red cards since the six-team format started in 2000 - name them. Point for each.
21. What does 'Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi', the first line of Welsh anthem Land of our Fathers, mean in English?
22. What is the name of the trophy that France and Italy play for?
23. Which country has the most points since 2000?
24. Who was named player of the 2012 Six Nations?
25. In Gaelic it is this: Comórtas na Sé Náisiún - but what does that mean in English?
How did you fare and which team are you?
0-7: You are Italy from 2000 - 25 tries conceded and the wooden spoon
8-15: A valiant effort, but you are still way off the mark - Scotland from just about any Six Nations tournament.
16-23: So close but yet so far - consider yourself similar to the Ireland side that missed out in 2007
24-30: You have the Six Nations winners medal, but you have not managed the Grand Slam - England from 2001.
31-35: Prepare the open bus parade, you are Wales from 2005, 2008 and 2012.
(Answers: 1. England with 26, 2. Gold and to prevent the champagne poured into it corroding the trophy, 3. Wales with two in 2008, 4. England 80-23 Italy, February 17, 2001 - Iain Balshaw and Austin Healey, 5. Youngest- Wales Jake Blackmore - aged 17 years and 62 days in January 1909. Oldest: England's Frederick Gilbert aged 39, 6. Brian O'Driscoll (25), 7. £5,500,8. Jason Leonard (54 appearances), 9. Clive Woodward, 10. Walter Cristofoletto (2000), Scott Quinnell (2000), Mauro Bergamasco (2002), Gonzalo Garcia (2010), Nick de Luca (2012), 11. George Lindsay (For Scotland v Wales in 1887), 12. Italy (25 - in both 2000 and 2003), 13. Mirco Bergamasco (six tries), 14. Melted down rupees, 15. Cucchiaio di legno, 16. Ronan O'Gara (551 points), 17. Italy scored just two in 2004 and 2009, 18. Brian O'Driscoll (41 times), 19. Floodlights, 20.Walter Cristofoletto (2000), Alessandro Troncon (2001), Scott Murray (2006), 21. This land of my father's is dear to me, 22. The Giuseppe Garibaldi Trophy, 23. England with 1829, 24. Wales' Dan Lydiate, 25. Six Nations Championship)
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Communication error please reload the page.