Brodie Retallick staying with Chiefs
April 2, 2013
Brodie Retallick has extended his stay with the Chiefs through until the end of 2015 © Getty Images
News that Chiefs lock Brodie Retallick will extend his stay at Waikato Stadium was the result Dave Rennie had been quietly hoping for. The 13-Test All Black has re-committed his services to the defending Super Rugby champions until the end of the 2015 season.
Rennie's future plans took a blow when three of his stars, including World Cup-winning All Black Richard Kahui, revealed their plans to leave earlier in the year. Knowing that his best forward will be in his core group of players for the next two years gives him confidence the franchise can continue its recent success.
"He [Retallick] had a massive season last year and established himself as a huge part of our success. He has all of the important attributes that we value highly at the Chiefs," Rennie said. "He is a good buggar, gutsy and works hard for the team and is a type of player we can build a team around over the next few years."
The 21-year-old enjoyed a meteoric rise in Chiefs colours last season. He helped secure the franchise's maiden Super Rugby title in his debut season. That was after Steve Hansen called him up for national duty with just a handful of first class games under his belt.
Tempted to cash in on his growing reputation, with a lucrative contract in either Japan or Europe, Retallick could not ignore his desire to help the All Blacks defend The Webb Ellis Cup in England. Though there is no guarantee he will be named in that squad, the Bay of Plenty Steamer believes he has the best coaches pushing him to get there.
"I believe the Chiefs have good structures, great people and a culture that has really encouraged my game to develop," Retallick said.
Those who won't continue to develop under the coaching nous of Rennie and Wayne Smith are: Lelia Masaga (Japan), Craig Clarke (Ireland) and Kahui (Japan).
Communication error please reload the page.