Super Rugby
Waratahs v Crusaders: memorable matches
ESPN Staff
July 28, 2014
The Waratahs' Peter Betham runs into Tom Marshall, Crusaders v New South Wales Waratahs, Super Rugby, AMI Stadium, Christchurch May 31, 2013
Peter Betham's powerful try one to remember from 2013 © Getty Images
Related Links

A look back at a handful of classic contests between the Waratahs and the Crusaders this century.

2001: Waratahs 25-22 Crusaders

The last time the Waratahs defeated the Crusaders was way back in 2001 when the Waratahs ended the Crusaders hopes of defending their Super 12 title and kept their own semi-final hopes alive. In the tight match-up it took over 35-minutes for the first points to be scored before the Waratahs lead 10-3 into half-time. The Crusaders hit the Waratahs hard during the second half to take the lead 17-15 for the first time during the match, but a converted try and penalty to Matt Burke put the Waratahs out of reach with a 25-17 lead, while a missed conversion to Ben Blair saw the side fall three-points short 25-22.

2002: Crusaders 96-19 Waratahs

A humiliating defeat in 2002 was the first of an 11-year drought against the Crusaders. The Waratahs flew to Christchurch to face an undefeated Crusaders side that were sitting on a ten-game winning streak, but left shamefaced after the Crusaders crashed over for 14 tries, while the Waratahs earned their first of three tries in the 43rd minute, by which time the Crusaders had already established a 63-5 lead.

2005: Crusaders 35-25 Waratahs

Not even a brave second-half comeback could put the Waratahs over the Crusaders in their first Super 12 final. In a tight opening half, the Waratahs scored the first points through a penalty, but the Crusaders were first to crash over the line and soon led the Waratahs 14-6 into the break. Three consecutive tries to the Crusaders soon put the score at 35-6, but a fight-back late in the half saw the Tahs put some respectability back into the score with three tries to end the match 35-25.

2008: Crusaders 20-12 Waratahs

In a tight clash in Christchurch, the Waratahs took an early 5-3 lead over the Crusaders and continued to build until only two-minutes before half-time when the Crusaders kicked a penalty and crashed over for their first try to go into the half-time break trailing the Waratahs 12-11. The Crusaders quickly took the lead in the second-half with a penalty, and despite being a man down, through a yellow card, were able to build their lead with a drop-goal and penalty to end the match leading 20-12.

2013: Crusaders 23-22 Waratahs

Another one that got away for the Waratahs, who were 15-3 up through tries to Cam Crawford and Peter Betham before Corey Flynn struck late to keep the Crusaders in it at half-time down 15-10. Bernard Foley extended the lead after a Dave Dennis intercept early in the the second stanza, but a try to Matt Todd and two quick penalties by Dan Carter saw the home side regain the lead. Berrick Barnes could have sealed it for NSW in the final minutes but his penalty shot sailed wide of the far post.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - Singapore GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open