European Champions Cup
Glasgow Warriors win kicking battle in Llanelli
PA Sport
December 19, 2015
Report Match details
Date/Time: Dec 19, 2015, 19:45 local, 19:45 GMT
Venue: Parc Y Scarlets, Llanelli
Scarlets 6 - 9 Glasgow
Attendance: 0  Half-time: 0 - 6
Pens: Thomas 2
Pens: Russell 3
Sean Lamont of Glasgow evades Gareth Owen of Scarlets during the European Rugby Champions Cup match between Scarlets and Glasgow at the Parc y Scarlets on December 19, 2015 in Llanelli, Wales.
Glasgow's Sean Lamont attempts to hand off a tackle against the Scarlets.
© Getty Images
Related Links
Players/Officials: Sean Lamont | Finn Russell | Aled Thomas
Tournaments/Tours: European Rugby Champions Cup
Teams: Glasgow | Scarlets
Grounds: Parc Y Scarlets

Glasgow Warriors marked their 100th game in the European Cup by doing the double over Guinness PRO12 rivals Scarlets to stay in the hunt for a quarterfinal place in the European Champions Cup.

In appalling conditions at Parc y Scarlets, Gregor Townsend's team celebrated their century with four points and also made it back-to-back victories in the middle of the pool stages for the first time in 15 seasons as they triumphed 9-6.

But they were forced to dig deep in the second half when they were reduced to 13 men for seven minutes after ex-Scarlets player Sean Lamont and back row man Chris Fusaro were both sent to the sin-bin by French official Pascal Gauzere in the space of three minutes.

Lamont got his marching orders for playing the ball on the floor after a tackle and then Fusaro followed him into the bin for a late charge on Thomas after he had kicked ahead.

The win means the reigning PRO12 champions are back in the hunt for a quarter-final place after losing their opening game at home against Northampton. They now sit in third place in Pool Three, one point behind Saints, with a game in hand, and three behind Racing 92, who they still have to play home and away.

The torrential rain meant there was never any likelihood of a repeat of the try-fest at Scotstoun the previous weekend and the first half turned into a battle of the kickers. Finn Russell hit the mark with two out of three of his penalty attempts, while Thomas was wide with his one shot.

The Scarlets lost Thomas to the sin-bin after 28 minutes for cynically knocking the ball out of the hands of his opposite number Russell in a tackle, but the home side only conceded three points while he was off the field.

The game was still finely balanced at the break with the visitors 6-0 to the good and Russell extended the lead to nine points with his third success five minutes after the restart. Then came the yellow cards and Thomas got the Scarlets off the mark with a penalty shortly after Lamont went off and then added a second moments before Fusaro returned.

That left the home side with 13 minutes to try to find a way to win the game and add to their one point from three games. Thomas had a 45-metre kick at goal six minutes from the end, but pushed his kick wide.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.