Romanian player deserts in Wales
February 17, 2000
A young Romanian player, touring Wales with the U19 national squad, has walked out on the eve of their return home according to Romanian officials.
"Nicolae Dobre quit the delegation during a passport check at the Cardiff airport on Monday," Dumitru Mihalache, president of the Romanian Rugby Union, told Reuters.
Mihalache said nobody knew the whereabouts of Dobre, nor the reason for his decision but said that the Grivita Bucharest player would face an indefinite ban upon his return.
The under-19 squad had been in Wales for a week of training and played three matches.
In January, two Steaua Bucharest players went missing in Ireland after refusing to get on the squad's bus for Dublin airport. Both were army officers and now face a military court on charges of desertion.
Communication error please reload the page.