Toulouse and Munster notch 50th Heineken appearances
January 9, 2003

Toulouse and Munster will become the first teams in the history of the Heineken Cup to reach 50 matches this weekend.

It was on 31 October, 1995 that Emile Ntamack's Toulouse side kicked-off the tournament on the Black Sea when they played the Romanian champions Farul Constanta.

Ntmack grabbed two tries in his side's 54-10 victory. That triumph was the first of four that season that carried Toulouse to the inaugural Heineken Cup title with a 21-18 extra-time win over Cardiff in the Welsh capital.

The only survivor from that original Toulouse side is Ntamack himself, although a number of the players are still playing in either the Heineken Cup or Parker Pen Challenge Cup.

For instance, Richard Castel is with Heineken Cup side Beziers, while in the Parker Pen Challenge Cup Tomas Castaignede has been joined by Christian Califano at Saracens, Philippe Carbonneau is now with Pau along with Eric Artiguste and Hugues Miorin has moved across town to Colomiers.

Survivors from the first Munster line-up include Anthony Foley, who will play his 49th game this weekend in Perpignan, Mick Galwey, who is line for his 48th game and Eddie Halvey. Paul Burke is now with NEC Harlequins, while Darragh O'Mahoney is with Saracens.

FOR THE RECORD . . . the match reports and line-ups from those first teams

  • HEINEKEN CUP Pool A, Tuesday, 31 October, 1995, RC Constanta.

    (HT: 3-28).

    TOULOUSE showed why they are favourites to be the first winners of the new European Cup when they routed the champions of Romania, scoring eight tries in the opening match of the tournament in Constanta today.

    A big, mobile pack and near all-international threequarter line destroyed Farul, who could provide only limited resistance against the powerful, strong and quick double French champions.

    Emile Ntamack, Toulouse's captain and World Cup star, scored twice as did fellow wing David Berty - but it was the heavyweight French pack who ruled the roost.

    Farul had no answer to their powerful scrummaging and dominant line-out and were fortunate to get a try when a loose pass from Ntamack was pounced on by scrum half Mihai Foca.

    The match was extremely physical with Welsh referee Robert Davies required to issue warnings to both sides when enthusiasm boiled over. It was a strong message that the tournament will need strong officials.

    Toulouse's victory away from home will signal a warning to the other 11sides - that for anyone to beat Ntamack and his team they will have to control their powerhouse forwards.

    Scorers: Toulouse: Tries - E Ntamack 2, D Berty 2, J-L Cester, T Castaignede, S Ougier, pen try; Cons: C Deylaud 7. Farul Constanta: Try - M Foca; Con - E Florea; Penalty - E Florea.

    FARUL CONSTANTA: V Brici; C Sasu, A Tinca, N Fulina (capt), E Florea; V Besarau, M Foca; C Pingert, N Lupu (A Secuiu, 50m), D Manole, N Branescu, N Marin (E Rujada, 50m), C Florea, A Girbu, T Oroian.
    TOULOUSE: S Ougier; E Ntamack (capt), P Carbonneau, T Castaignede (O Carbonneau, 48m), D Berty; C Deylaud, J Cazalbou (E Artiguste, 48m); C Califano, P Soula, C Portolan (P Lassere, 70m), H Miorin, F Belot, J-L Cester, R Castel, S Dispagne.
    Referee: RG Davies (Wales).

  • HEINEKEN CUP Group D, Wednesday, 1 November, 1995, Thomond Park, Limerick

    SWANSEA'S gallant effort to snatch victory in Limerick failed by just a few minutes as Munster scored a late try to gain the two points.

    It was 13-10 to Swansea when the Munster skipper and full-back Pat Murray joined the line to beat off a tackle and cross under the Swansea posts. When wing Ken Smith converted it was curtains for Swansea who had taken the lead on two occasions.

    Wales international Aled Williams, at fly half, fired Swansea in front with a penalty but in the 18th minute Munster went ahead. Ireland cap right wing Richard Wallace raced over for Smith to convert though Williams cut the lead to 7-6 by the interval.

    A long penalty shot by Smith took Munster to 10-6 but then Swansea produced a superb try as the pack paved the way before centre Roddy Boobyer put right wing Alan Harris clear on the left. The young Wales A cap raced over on the opposite side of the field and Williams converted.

    However, Munster showed how strong they can be with a spirited finish that brought captain Murray the winning score.

    Scorers: Munster: Tries: R Wallace, P Murray; Cons: K Smith (2); Pen: K Smith. Swansea: Try: A Harris; Con: A Williams; Pens: A Williams (2).

    MUNSTER: P Murray (Shannon, capt); R Wallace (Garryowen), S McCahill (Sundays Well), D Larkin (Garryowen), K Smith (Garryowen); P Burke (Cork Constitution), D O'Mahoney (Cork Consitution); J Fitzgerald (Young Munster), T Kingston (Dolphin), P Clohessy (Young Munster), M Galwey
    (Shannon), G Fulcher (Cork Constitution), E Halvey (Shannon), A Foley (Shannon), D Corkery (Terenure).
    Replacement: M Fitzgerald (Young Munster) for J Fitzgerald 18-27; B Toland (Old Crescent) for Halvey 32.
    SWANSEA: G Thomas; A Harris (L Davies 27-31), R Boobyer, D Weatherley, Simon Davies; A Williams, Rhodri Jones; C Loader, G Jenkins, C Anthony, S Moore, A Moore, A Reynolds, R Appleyard, Stuart Davies (capt).
    Referee: Ed Morrison (England).

  • Live Sports

    Communication error please reload the page.

    • Football

    • Cricket

    • Rugby

      • Days
      • Hrs
      • Mins
      • Secs

      F1 - Mexican GP

    • OtherLive >>

      Snooker - China Open
      Tennis - Miami Open