Yorkshire claim Bill Beaumont Cup
June 1, 2008

Potato buyer Robin Kitching led the way as Yorkshire mashed Devon 33-13 in the final of the Bill Beaumont Cup.

The Otley wing scored a try and kicked two conversions and three penalties for a personal haul of 18 points at Twickenham.

His backline colleagues were a constant threat, too, with his Cross Green teammate Steve Parsons touching down twice and Leeds Carnegie centre Tom Rock scoring their fourth try.

And their superiority at the breakdown meant Devon looked half-baked by comparison as they made too many defensive errors to sustain their challenge for a fourth title in five seasons.

They crossed the Yorkshire line just once for a second half penalty try converted by Ben Scott with Danny Hawkes adding two penalties.

It added up to an 11th Twickenham win in 12 visits for former Yorkshire Under 20 and England Counties coach Bob Hood.

"It was a really good performance and a really professional one," said Hood. "We wanted to play with intensity and our belief in what we were doing shone through.

"We weren't patient enough in the first half but once we settled down we scored some good tries.

"It's been eight years since we last came here and beat Devon and 16 of the 22 we had here today had been here and won in previous years with the Under 20 Championship.

"We have that conveyor belt of young players coming through and rugby in Yorkshire's in pretty good shape at the moment."

Plymouth Albion fly half Hawkes kicked his two early shots at goal either side of Kitching's reply for Yorkshire before a combination of poor defending and excellent finishing saw the cup wrenched from Devon's grasp.

While they made several big individual hits - Plymouth Albion's Keni Fisilau the main culprit - they couldn't halt telling individual breaks with full back Adam Whaites and centre Tom Rock both a constant threat.

Whaites's twisting run on the half-hour saw him evade three tacklers before off-loading for Parsons to score from close range and Yorkshire struck again immediately before the interval.

This time Rock did the damage down the left and although Kitching's return pass failed to find its target Rock recovered to volley the ball over the line and touch down.

Parsons added his second try five minutes into the second half, when Whaites again twisted out of tackles close to the line and Kitching's conversion established a 20-6 lead before Devon got their act together.

They had made key changes early in the second half - Ben Thompson on at fly half for Hawkes among them - then opted for route one by driving a lineout from five metres out. Yorkshire hauled the maul down and conceded a penalty try which Scott converted.

But Yorkhire stepped up another gear with Rock again beating defenders, Richard Wainwright was stopped just short and Kitching piled over the line with referee Rowan Kitt awarding the try after consulting the TMO.

Kitching's conversion was followed by two straightforward penalties that put Yorkshire out of sight going into the last 10 minutes.

"We knew they'd be big and physical, good at the set-piece and in the tackle area and we just gave away too much ball," said Dawe. "We did well to contain Yorkshire at times because they looked dangerous at times.

"We've done well to get here five times in a row, the players can be proud of themselves and hopefully they'll learn from this and we can come here again.

Devon: Ben Scott (unattached); Tom Bedford (Exeter Chiefs), Keni Fisilau (Plymouth Albion), Patrick Sykes (Canterbury), Liam Gibson; Daniel Hawkes, Matt Newman (all Plymouth Albion); Wayne Reed (Launceston), Stewart Pearl (Unattached), Ryan Hopkins, Jamie Tripcony, Edward King (all Plymouth Albion), Danny Thomas (Unattached), Jake Childs, Kyle Marriott (captain, both Plymouth Albion).

Replacements: Stephen Bennett (Unattached), Gareth Evans (Plymouth Albion), David Kimberley (Bridgwater), Richard Jenkins (Bristol), Ben Thompson (Unattached), Marc Dibble (Launceston), Jon Marlin (Mounts Bay).

Scorers: Try: Penalty Try. Conversion: Scott. Penalties: Hawkes 2.

Yorkshire: Adam Whaites (Wharfedale); Steve Parsons (Otley), Tom Rock (Leeds Carnegie), Kyle Dench (Otley), Robin Kitching (Otley); Richard Wainwright (Manchester), David McCormack (Otley); Ryan Wederell (Otley), Scott Plevey (Doncaster Knights), James Armitage (Beverley), Dan Cook (captain, Hull), Richard Hill (Hull Ionians), Dan Hyde Otley), Neil Spence (Bradford & Bingley), Max Lewis (Leeds Carnegie).

Replacements: Peter Wright (Middlesbrough), Andrew Baggett (Wharfedale), Paul Turner (Otley), Will Kay (Halifax), Matt Challinor (Morley), Matt Stockdale (Otley), David Worrall (Beverley).

Scorers: Tries: Parsons 2, Rock, Kitching. Conversions: Kitching 2. Penalties: Kitching 3.

Referee: Rowan Kitt (RFU).

Earlier in the day, Northumberland claimed the County Championship Shield by scoring four well-taken tries to see off Cornwall 25-11 at Twickenham.

Scores from the Tynedale trio of Jack Smales, Gavin Beasley and Andrew Murray took them to the brink of victory before Morpeth wing Peter Cole finished the job, with Beasley adding a penalty and conversion.

Cornwall have a fantastic county rugby history to draw on, dating back 100 years to their first title victory against Durham and encompassing the fairytale 1991 victory against Yorkshire when they turned a 16-3 deficit into a 29-20 victory.

But the latest chapter was a disappointing one and they couldn't get out of second gear until Redruth's Paul Thirlby scored early in the second half with Marc Scrivener adding two penalties before Cole slammed the door shut.

"It was always going to be tough because they were a good side and they bring a pride and passion to their game with a big support, so we knew we had to be at our best," said Northumberland captain David Guthrie.

"We set a good platform and with the pace we have from nine, 10 and outside we knew we were going to score tries.

"For 10 minutes or so at the start of the second half we had our backs to the wall, but we came back from that and scored a great try through Peter Coles."

Northumberland's dominance at the breakdown gave their backs room throughout the first half and they scored two early touchdowns to build up a 13-6 lead.

A missed cover tackle on the left gave full back Smales the chance to outstrip the cover and get into the corner after 10 minutes and Beasley added a penalty when Tim Swinson's midfield charge forced Cornwall to kill the ball in front of their posts seven minutes later.

Scrivener replied with a penalty but Northumbria struck again on the half-hour when they cashed in on an error from Lewis Vinnicombe, who miscued a clearance under pressure on his own line with prop Johnny Williams gathering and giving the scoring pass to Beasley.

A second penalty from Scrivener came just before the interval but Northumbria added a third try 10 minutes into the second half when a series of attacks ended with the ball going wide for replacement Andy Murray to regather and score.

Cornwall produced a brief flurry - led by veteran lock Richard Carroll's charging runs and former Bath scrum half Ricky Pellow's introduction from the bench, with full back Paul Thirlby getting over on the right on the hour.

But Northumberland's response immediately took the game out of their grasp with a brilliantly executed score, Beasley's cross-kick finding Cole unmarked for a fourth try which the fly half converted.

"We probably gave away 17 points today with the mistakes we made and you've got to be absolutely watertight," said Cornwall coach David Thomas.

"We didn't play to our potential, Northumberland were a very good side and we lost a lot in contact, so we didn't have enough ball to get the side moving.

"It's disappointing for all the players and for the spectators who gave us such great backing. Our target now is to come back next year in the final of the Bill Beaumont Cup."

Northumberland: Jack Smales (Tynedale); Peter Cole (Morpeth), Benjamin Duncan (Tynedale), Paul Mooney (Otley), Hamish Smales (Launceston); Gavin Beasley (Tynedale), David Kay (Northern); Johnny Williams (Tynedale), Mathew Hall (Blaydon), Rupert Harden (Tynedale), David Guthrie (Blaydon, captain), Graeme Smith (London Scottish), Tim Swinson (Tynedale), Grant Rastall (Tynedale), Jason Smithson (Blaydon).

Replacements: Paul Winter (Blaydon) for Harden 50, Mathew Fieldhouse (Tynedale) for Hall 70, Peter Southern (Tynedale) for Williams 65, David Whitehead (Blaydon) for Guthrie 62, Grant Beasley (Tynedale) for Rastall 70, Andrew Murray (Tynedale) for Smith 45, Charles Rayner (Darlington Mowden Park) for J Smales 74.

Scorers: Tries: J Smales, Beasley, Murray, Cole. Conversion: Beasley. Penalty: Beasley

Cornwall: Paul Thirlby (Redruth); Lewis Vinnicombe (Redruth), Ryan Westren (Launceston), Steve Perry (Launceston), Jamie Semmens (Mounts Bay); Marc Scrivener (Launceston), Mark Richards (Redruth); Darren Jacques (Redruth), James Salter (Mounts Bay), Danny Clackworthy (Mounts Bay), Richard Carroll (Mounts Bay), Ben Hilton (Mounts Bay), Josh Lord (Launceston, captain), Adam Nicholls (Mounts Bay), Sam Hocking (Launceston).

Replacements: Ricky Pellow (Mounts Bay) for Richards 54, Sam Parsons (Cornish Pirates) for Vinnicombe 57, Darren Semmens (Mounts Bay) for Salter 64, John Griffiths (Mounts Bay) for Carroll 69, Mark Churcher (Mounts Bay) for Thirlby 65, Christopher Fuca (Redruth) for Nicholls 51, Jason Bolt (Launceston) for Jacques 69.

Scorers: Try: Thirlby. Penalties: Scrivener 2.

Referee: Richard Phillips (RFU)

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.