May 2 down the years
When Jonny Wilkinson was outgunned
Leicester celebrate winning the title after their win at Newcastle on this day in 1999 © Getty Images

Leicester secured the Allied Dunbar Premiership title with a 21-12 win at Newcastle on a day where the boot of Tim Stimpson outkicked that of Jonny Wilkinson. All the points came from penalties as Newcastle's 32-match, two-year unbeaten run at Kingston Park was ended.

Another sorry end to Gavin Henson's spell with a club, this time Toulon. Banned for a week after an incident in - you guessed it - a nightclub, Toulon reinstated him with promises he still featured in their plans. He played one more time - coming off the bench in the last game of the season - before moving to Cardiff … where he was sacked for an incident on a plane.

Leinster upset Munster 25-6 at Croke Park to progress to their first ever Heineken Cup final. The match, played in front of a then world-record crowd for a club game of 82,206 fans, featured tries from Leinster trio Gordon D'Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald and Man of the Match Brian O'Driscoll. A superb defensive display limited favourites Munster to just two Ronan O'Gara penalties and erased the memories of the defeat to their fierce Irish rivals at the same stage in 2006.

A crowd invasion brought the RFU Cup final at Twickenham to a premature finish. Referee Fred Howard was told to whistle for time three minutes early, leaving Bath winners by 19-12 against Wasps.

Leicester won their third successive John Player Cup and earned the right to keep the trophy after beating Gosforth 22-15 at Twickenham. The build-up to the game centred on the cup rather than the match. The sponsors originally offered to let Leicester keep the trophy if they secured a hat-trick of wins but then tried to backtrack to "build up the competition's traditions". Gosforth, meanwhile, were severely reprimanded by the RFU after admitting three of their players contravened regulations by having pain-killing injections before the match.

Stuart Barnes sunk Harlequins with a last-minute 40-metre dropped goal in extra time to give Bath a 15-12 Cup final victory at Twickenham. "I thought about putting a high kick up but I looked at everyone else and they looked as shattered as I was," Barnes said. "There was only one thing to do and it was lucky that I was so tired. Jack Rowell, our coach, often tells me I lose my rhythm drop-kicking so I just swung slowly--that's all I could do--and when I hit it I knew it was odds on." It was Bath's seventh Pilkington Cup triumph in nine years and their second League and Cup double in four seasons.

The trophy for the all new HSBC Asian Five Nations was unveiled in Hong Kong on the eve of matches between Japan and the Arabian Gulf in Osaka and Kazakhstan's visit to Hong Kong. Handcrafted in India from pure silver, the trophy weighs more than 8kg and is adorned with Asian motifs including a dragon design to represent North Asia and a prowling tiger representing South Asia.

Toulouse, fielding seven French internationals and four future caps, wrested the French Championship title from Perpignan with an 11-0 win in the Final at Bordeaux. Toulouse retained the title the following season with a 19-9 win over Stade Francais, taking their total to five titles in six seasons between 1922 and 1927.

Vienne won the French Championship title for the first time. They beat Montferrand 13-7 in the Final staged in Toulouse, a victory that remains their only French Championship. Montferrand were appearing in their second final in two seasons, having lost to 6-3 to Narbonne in 1936.

Cardiff beat Swansea 16-15 after extra time to lift the WRU Cup for the fifth time in seven years.


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - Azerbaijan GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open