Giteau keeping options open
January 4, 2011
Matt Giteau is content to wait before deciding his post World Cup future © Getty Images
Matt Giteau insists he is in no hurry to commit himself to Australia or the Brumbies after this year's World Cup.
The 91 times-capped playmaker's contract expires after the tournament in New Zealand and Giteau, who will turn 29 during the competition in September, has been linked with a host of big spending French clubs.
However, the Canberra native is remaining coy on his future, preferring to concentrate on the upcoming season during which he has to battle to win back his starting place in Robbie Deans' side.
"Talk and speculation about my future doesn't worry me," Giteau told the Sydney Morning Herald. "I want to be heavily involved in both the new season with the Brumbies and the Wallabies because it's a World Cup year as well.
"For me, it's about worrying about this year and seeing how my enjoyment and things like that go.I'll see if I need something fresh and wait to see how this year pans out [before I make any decisions]."
Reports in Australia indicate a number of Wallaby stars were targeted by big European clubs during the November tour, which saw the men in gold beat France, Italy and Wales - but lose heavily to England. Giteau lost his place after the defeat at Twickenham, but returned to the venue to captain the victorious Barbarians in their famous win over South Africa.
And he is hoping to use the new Super Rugby season to propel him back into the starting line-up. "I feel really good," he said. "I've got no injuries and on the tour I probably didn't play as many games as I have previously so that probably freshened me up. For me the hunger is still there. I've been doing training before I'm due back and that's how you know the hunger is there. I think if (the Brumbies) can play some good rugby, we're as good as anyone. I'm just focussing on the Brumbies and then whatever happens, happens."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.