Waikato 19 - 26 Otago, ITM Cup round 2
Otago upset Waikato to lift Ranfurly Shield
August 23, 2013
Date/Time: Aug 23, 2013, 20:05 local, 08:05 GMT
Venue: Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
Waikato 19 - 26 Otago
Half-time: 13 - 16
Tries: Mikkelson
Cons: Renata
Pens: Renata 4
Tries: Ioane, Parker
Cons: Parker 2
Pens: Parker 4
Otago fly-half Hayden Parker runs the ball, Waikato v Otago, ITM Cup, Waikato Stadium, August 23, 2013
Otago fly-half Hayden Parker scored 21 of his side's 26 points
© Getty Images

Otago have ended a 56-year drought with some courageous defence and substitute TJ Ioane's second-half try to snatch the Ranfurly Shield with a 26-19 win over holders Waikato in Hamilton.

Otago haven't held the Log o' Wood since 1957 and had lost their previous 22 challenges. But the Championship side overcame a lack of ball and field possession, as well as three-and-a-half nail-biting minutes of added time after the final hooter, to upset their Premiership opponents. They scored two tries to one, the first to fly-half Hayden Parker, who also landed all six of his kicks for a personal haul of 21 points.

With the scores tied at 19-19 in the 63rd minute, Ioane began and finished the attack that was to tilt the match Otago's way. One of the few to distinguish themselves in the Highlanders' disappointing Super Rugby campaign, the loose forward won a superb turnover near the halfway mark. Otago moved the ball on and forced a 5-metre scrum, from which Ioane followed up skipper Paul Grant's dab for the line by grabbing the loose ball and dotting down.

With a draw enough for Waikato to retain the Shield, Otago were forced into plenty of defence over the closing stages to keep out the home side. The result also meant Otago have made it two wins from two matches in the National Provincial Championship, while Waikato have a win and a loss.

After the sides traded penalties to make it 6-6, Otago scored an impressive team try. The move began with flanker Gareth Evans forcing a steal on his own 22, and included a Parker cross-kick to winger Kieran Moffat, before Parker got the ball back and drove over. Parker's conversion and another penalty took Otago out to 16-6 on the half-hour.

But, with half-time beckoning, Waikato used their greater possession to make a comeback. From a planned move off a scrum, centre Save Tokula made a big break to send winger Tim Mikkelson over.

From another set piece, Tokula again made a huge incision to set up fullback Trent Renata for a try that would have put the Waikato ahead. But Otago got a reprieve when the video referee, in a tight decision, ruled the final pass forward.


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.