Wales
Lydiate one of 12 to be offered dual contracts
ESPN Staff
November 19, 2014
Dan Lydiate has been offered a dual contract © Getty Images
Enlarge

The Welsh Rugby Union has handed out 12 dual contracts with unattached British & Irish Lion Dan Lydiate one recipient.

The deals include 60% of WRU funding with the Welsh professional regions footing the other 40% with the total pot £3.3m. They are the product of a new six-year Rugby Services Agreement thrashed out between the WRU and Pro Rugby Wales, the umbrella organisation for Ospreys, Scarlets, Cardiff Blues and Newport Gwent Dragons.

Lydiate is currently without a team after being released early from his contract with French club Racing Metro. It is thought he will either link up with his former team the Dragons or head to the Ospreys.

The WRU said 12 players, including Lydiate, had been offered contracts that were sent out on Tuesday "for the players' full consideration". They will all play for Welsh regions.

Wales captain Sam Warburton is currently the only dual contracted player, but a number of other seasoned internationals are expected to follow suit. Dragons boss Lyn Jones says Taulupe Faletau, Hallam Amos and Tyler Morgan have been offered the deals.

Head coach Warren Gatland, who has overseen the player contractual selection process, said: "This is an important step forward for Welsh rugby, and we will reap rewards in playing standards over the long term.

"Any player on a national dual contract will remain in Wales with a region, where their development and welfare can be monitored by me and my national squad coaches, conditioners and medical staff.

"I want to personally thank the staff from each of the four regions for their help in getting the national dual contracts up and running.

"In particular, I would really like to thank the regions for their help in facilitating Dan Lydiate's return to Wales. It wasn't something that we had envisaged so early, or budgeted for, so I would like to thank them for their help."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - Russian GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open