Super Rugby review
Force lose to new boys Southern Kings
February 24, 2013
Report Match details
Date/Time: Feb 23, 2013, 19:10 local, 17:10 GMT
Venue: Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth
Southern Kings 22 - 10 Force
Half-time: 5 - 10
Tries: Petersen 2
Pens: Catrakilis 4
Tries: Cowan, Mafi
Western Force's Hugh McMeniman breaks through the Southern Kings' defence, Southern Kings v Western Force, Super Rugby, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth, February 23, 2013
McMeniman breaks through the Kings' defence
© Getty Images
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: Super Rugby

Southern Kings marked their Super Rugby debut with a shock 22-10 win over Western Force in Port Elizabeth on Saturday.

The Kings trailed 10-5 at the break before storming home with 17 unanswered points to stun the Force at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

Teen winger Sergeal Petersen scored two tries for the hosts, while flyhalf Demetri Catrakilis booted four penalties.

Petersen opened the scoring against the run of play when he pounced on a loose ball and ran in unopposed for a try.

Pek Cowan scored to level proceedings for the Force before Alfie Mafi put the visitors in front with a try in the corner.

The Kings suffered a blow when skipper Luke Watson was brought off with a throat injury and failed to return, but rallied to keep the Force scoreless for the last 50 minutes.

The Kings, who replaced the Johannesburg-based Lions this season, were expected to struggle with an inexperienced squad but instead lead the South African conference after two rounds.

"We knew it was our crucial to get a win today to get the public behind us," Kings centre Andries Strauss said.

"We must keep our feet on the ground; it is only our first step into this competition. There is still big pressure on us but I hope we can take the momentum from this win further into the competition."

The Kings have a bye next week, while the Force, now winless in two matches, take on the Bulls in Pretoria.

© Sportal

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.