Sharks lose Pieter-Steph du Toit
March 14, 2014
Pieter-Steph du Toit has been a strongman for the Sharks this season © Getty Images
The Sharks have lost Pieter-Steph du Toit for an indefinite period, the second-row having sustained a knee injury in training on Thursday.
He is the second player to have withdrawn from the Sharks team this week because of a knee injury, after the news that centre Paul Jordaan had been sidelined for a month by an injury sustained against the Lions last week.
Jake White, who named Sibusiso Sithole to replace Jordaan in the starting side, moved Stephan Lewies into the XV to face Queensland Reds at Kings Park on Saturday. White said that du Toit's absence would "mean that Ryan Kankowski will have to take on more responsibility in the lineouts and step up as leader in that regard".
"We will have to expect a full 80 minutes from [Kankowski], and he will have to move to different positions in the lineout to where he was going to slot in," White said.
Sharks captain Bismarck du Plessis said: "It will be a big challenge for us but Stephan and Pieter-Steph have both been working hard on taking on the responsibility of being the No.5 lock, and taking on a big role at the lineout, so we are fortunate that we have Stephan who can step in."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.