Super Rugby
Beale holding off on foot surgery
April 24, 2014
New South Wales back Kurtley Beale touches down, New South Wales Waratahs v Blues, Super Rugby trial match, Allianz Stadium, Sydney February 7, 2014
Beale has been suffering from a bone spur in his left foot © Getty Images

Wallabies star Kurtley Beale has revealed he requires foot surgery to remove a bone spur but is holding off until the injury becomes unbearable. Beale flew out for Auckland on Thursday morning with the NSW Waratahs and will line up against the Blues in Friday's Super Rugby showdown at Eden Park after being given the green light to play.

The midfield playmaker limped off before half-time in last week's win over the Bulls with what was thought to be a jarred ankle. Beale, though, on Thursday admitted he'd played the first eight games of the season with a more sinister injury to his left - non-kicking - foot.

"There's a bit of a spur in there," he said. "So obviously at the beginning of the season I always knew that there'd be a bit of pain here and there and it's just unfortunate that it got jarred a little bit more than it had in previous instances. Because I wasn't 100 per cent and couldn't continue the game, I just thought the rest would do it good.

"During the pre-season, I did a lot of running - hill running, long-distance running - and that just naturally kind of flared it up. So the medical staff have got different ways to help manage that - going back to icing and compression, and de-loading it helps a lot and that's what we've done this week and it's worked."

Greg Growden and Russell Barwick give you the inside word on Super Rugby round 11

Beale said he "definitely" needed surgery that he expected to sideline him for four to six weeks "when I get a bit of time off".

"At the moment, the medical staff here [at the Waratahs] are doing a fine job at managing it and we've got a really good understanding there of how to approach it," he said. "Depending on how it goes, I think we'll just take it week by week."

Unlike when the Australian Rugby Union intervened earlier this month and ruled fellow NSW star Israel Folau out of a Super Rugby match with a throat injury, Beale said he was only being guided by the Waratahs doctors.

"I know my body and how it copes with certain injuries and it's great how I can have a really good medical relationship here with the Tahs and it's pretty mutual," he said.

After stringing together eight straight games for the first time since 2011, the in-form Beale is desperate to avoid surgery for as long as possible. But the 26-year-old knows he could be sidelined at any moment.

"You go into every game knowing that it could be risky. It's a contact sport," Beale said. "It's just unfortunate that there is a minor problem there, but's it's managed - easily managed - and that's the best thing about it."


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.