Super Rugby
Force flop as Hurricanes run riot
ESPN Staff
February 27, 2015
Date/Time: Feb 27, 2015, 19:00 local, 11:00 GMT
Venue: Perth Oval
Force 13 - 42 Hurricanes
Half-time: 6 - 15
Tries: Scott
Cons: Burton
Pens: Burton, Holmes
Tries: Abbott, Jane, Marshall, SJ Savea, Vito
Cons: Barrett 2, Marshall 2
Pens: Barrett 3
Mark Abbott of the Hurricanes heads to the try line to score, Western Force v Hurricanes, Super Rugby, nib Stadium, Perth, February 27, 2015
Mark Abbott dives over for a try
© Getty Images
Related Links

All Blacks winger Julian Savea scored a brilliant solo try to inspire the Hurricanes to a 42-13 bonus-point victory over the Western Force in Friday night's Super Rugby clash in Perth. With the Hurricanes searching for their fourth-try bonus point, Savea had his work cut out after receiving the ball on the wing 50m out from the tryline.

With minimum margin for error, Savea unleashed a blistering run down the touchline and shook off tackles from Luke Burton and Luke Morahan before touching down. Savea thought he had scored his second in the 73rd minute, but was ruled offside in a marginal call. However, it mattered little to the end result, with the Hurricanes' five-tries-to-one win keeping them at the top of the table with a 3-0 record.

The Hurricanes hammer the Force 42-13. (Video available in Australia only)

The Force, who started their season with an impressive win over the Waratahs, are now 1-2 following consecutive losses. The Hurricanes entered the match having won their past six encounters against the Force and that streak never looked in doubt as the visitors unleashed a brutal running game.

Savea was looking for a hole to hide in early on after he fumbled a pass when he was just metres away from scoring. However, the All Blacks speedster made up for that mistake with a rampaging run down the left side that set up a try for Cory Jane in the 12th minute.

The Hurricanes had their second try of the night in the 26th minute when lock Mark Abbott crashed over for his maiden Super try. The Force enjoyed more possession in the opening half, but their tally of 23 missed tackles proved costly as the Hurricanes headed to the break with a 15-6 lead.

The game was as good as over by the 64th minute following tries to Victor Vito and Savea, and fullback James Marshall added the finishing touch with a try after the final siren to the disappointment of the 14,670 fans on hand. The only consolation for the Force was a 77th-minute try to Mitchell Scott, whose face was streaming with blood from a previous tackle when he sprinted for the line.

Force flanker Angus Cottrell limped off in the first half and failed to reappear, with the 25-year-old in danger of joining a casualty ward that includes skipper Matt Hodgson, fullback Dane Haylett-Petty, prop Francois van Wyk, Chris Alcock, and Adam Coleman.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.