News in Brief
Horwill re-signs for Reds
James Horwill in action for the Reds
© Getty Images
- Queensland Reds club captain James Horwill has re-committed to the franchise and the Wallabies for another two years.
Horwill, who is 24 today, finalised the contract yesterday and will now focus on playing for his country when they go to camp.
"I love playing for Queensland and the Wallabies and I was honoured to play my 50th game for Queensland as the captain," said Horwill.
Reds Head Coach Phil Mooney praised his skipper for his decisiveness in deciding to remain for another two years.
"James made his intentions pretty clear a couple of weeks ago and he's stuck to his guns," Mooney said.
"He's committed to leading the Reds into a new era and as captain knows more than most how close we are to turning that ability and hard work into wins on the field.
The head of the ARU's high performance unit David Nucifora is delighted with the decision by the powerful lock to re-commit to the Wallabies for another two years and to add to the 10 internationals caps he already has.
"James made rapid strides as a Test player last season," Nucifora said.
"His decision to remain in Australia now allows him the opportunity to continue with that development. It is great news for the game in this country."
Horwill, who already has four tries for the Wallabies, suffered a setback in November last year when he required an operation to due to ligament damage in his foot.
- Meanwhile the Reds are confident that Horwill's teammate, Digby Ioane, will ignore big money offers from abroad and stay with the Australian Rugby Union.
The Reds may be forced to fight for the 23-year-old's signature from his old club Western Force and the already star-studded Brumbies.
The Australian coach Robbie Deans met Ioane about continuing his test career with the Wallabies and the Reds now believe he is close to re-signing with the national side.
"With Digby, we're far more hopeful now of keeping him than we were a week or two back, so that's really positive," said Mooney.
"He's now talking about how good it will be to play in the next World Cup."
A move abroad would bring a premature end to his international career and the Reds have been working hard behind the scenes to offer the paceman a larger contract.
Reds chairman Peter Lewis and the Queensland Rugby Union are giving Ioane the assurances he needs after he slammed the ARU's initial $175,000 base contract offer,
claiming he felt 'insulted' when he had received offers of $1.1 million from abroad.
- The Scarlets have announed that former All Black flanker Daniel Braid will not be joining them from Super 14 side Queensland Reds even though terms had been agreed by the two parties.
Braid was injured playing for the Reds and his arrival was dependent on him passing medical checks. Meanwhile the Welsh outfit have announced the signing of four new players for next season's campaign. The new players are Wales Sevens World Cup winner Richie Pugh, 25, from Exeter Chiefs and Andrew Fenby, 23, from Newcastle Falcons. Also joining the club are Gareth Maule, 21, from Newport Gwent Dragons and flanker Damien Welch, 26, from Cardiff RFC.
- Bourgoin's Thomas Genevois will appear before an independent Disciplinary Committee in Dublin on Thursday as a result of his red card during the European Challenge Cup final agianst Northampton at the Stoop on Friday, 22 May.
Genevois was sent off by referee George Clancy in the 76th minute for striking Saint's replacement Courtney Lawes and the committee will decide if further action is required. The flanker's teammate, Julien Frier, will also appear before the panel on the same day after he was cited by the Citing Commissioner for the game, Ray Wilton.
The independent Disciplinary Committee will be chaired by Pat Barriscale (Ireland) and he will be joined on the panel by Simon Thomas (Wales) and John West (Ireland).
- An 18-year-old schoolboy in Canada has been found guilty of manslaughter over a spear tackle that happened two years ago. The teen was playing in a game in Mississauga when, according to the prosecuton, he lifted rival player Manny Castillo into the air, his feet facing upwards, and drove him head first into the ground. Castillo died a few days after the match from a serious head injury. The player, who cannot be named under Canada's youth laws, awaits sentencing.
- Canadian international DTH van der Merwe, 23, will sign for Glasgow Warriors after training with the Scottish side in April.
The South African-born back will be in action this Saturday at York University against Wales.