• Wimbledon, Day 11

Murray into second Wimbledon final

ESPN staff
July 5, 2013
Andy Murray is through to his second Wimbledon final © PA Photos

Losing the first set was not in the script. A half hour delay to close the famous Centre Court roof was certainly not.

But a slight re-write turned out to be but a mild nuisance for British No. 1 Andy Murray as he reached his second Wimbledon final with a 6-7(2) 6-4 6-4 6-3 victory over 24th seed Jerzy Janowicz.

Up against the power of the 6ft 8in Janowicz, Murray was able to work his opponent around the court once he got a racket onto the ferocious serves that were being fired down.

A break point came and went for the British No. 1, but Murray had his opportunity to take the first set with two chances in the 10th game.

However, Janowicz with a couple of monster serves saved them and was then able to send the first set into a tiebreak.

But in the breaker the concentration of Murray fell, and he only won two points as Janowicz claimed it 7-2 on a Murray double fault to silence the Centre Court crowd.

Two double faults from Janowicz gifted Murray the break in the opening game of the next set, and the Scot soon raced into a 3-1 lead.

Janowicz though threatened to claim the break back, but some great defence from the home favourite enabled him to hold onto the advantage to restore his two-game cushion.

A huge hold for Janowicz saw the Pole reduce the deficit to one once again, but Murray's hold was even bigger in the context of the match as he saved three break back points to close in on the set at 5-3.

But unlike his previous service game Murray cruised through his latest which got him on level terms at one set all.

Janowicz pressed hard early in the third and broke Murray's serve with a delicious drop shot. Murray needed some luck from somewhere, and it came from a net cord which offered a chance to break back. The Scot made no mistake with a flashing forehand.

The occasion looked like it was starting to get to Janowicz, playing in his first grand slam semi-final, and Murray won five straight games to recover from 4-1 down to take the third set.

But then, with the time now past 8.30pm, tournament referee Andrew Jarrett headed onto the court to tell the players there would be a 30 minute break to close the roof.

Murray was not happy with the decision.

"This is an outdoor tournament," he said. "It's unfair. You're only doing it because [Janowicz] has been complaining about the light for 45 minutes."

His complaints fell on deaf ears and the players headed for the locker room.

But Murray need not have worried as he came out fighting after the stoppage and broke his opponent as early as the third game of the fourth set with a blistering forehand down the line.

Janowicz's battle was all but lost by the time two double faults in a row handed Murray match point. The world No. 2 smashed a forehand return winner to keep his Wimbledon dream alive.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.