- US Open
Nadal's US Open defence in doubt after wrist injury
Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the Toronto and Cincinnati Masters events with a wrist injury, putting the defence of his US Open crown in doubt.
Nadal suffered the problem to his right wrist during training on Tuesday and said he could need at least three weeks of recuperation - with the US Open starting in less than a month on August 25.
"Unfortunately I injured my right wrist yesterday during practice and after the tests I have undergone today in Spain, including an MRI, and checking with my doctors, I will have to stay out of competition for at least 2-3 weeks," Nadal said in a statement on the Cincinnati Masters' official website.
"I am sorry and wish the best to the tournament and thank all of the fans for their support. I'm extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my titles and compete in Toronto and Cincinnati this year.
"I was looking forward to coming and playing again after my great results last year."
Nadal, who hasn't competed since his last-16 Wimbledon defeat to Australian teenager Nick Kyrgios on July 1, plays left-handed but uses a double-handed backhand.
The Toronto Masters gets underway on Monday with the Cincinnati event starting on August 11. The two events would have constituted Nadal's hard-court preparations for Flushing Meadows.
The world No.2 will lose his 2,000 ranking points garnered from winning both events last year and is defending the same amount at the US Open.
Nadal has reached the final in his last three appearances at the US Open, beating Novak Djokovic in 2010 and 2013, while losing to the same man in 2011. Nadal missed the tournament in 2012 due to an extended absence because of a knee injury