'Privilege' to reach World Tour Finals, says Federer
Roger Federer has expressed his delight in becoming the third player to confirm his place at the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals at the O2.
The Swiss joins world No.1 and current champion Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal at the tournament for a record 13th consecutive year after lifting the Cincinnati Masters on Sunday.
Federer had previously shared the record of consecutive years qualifying with Ivan Lendl and will be gunning for a seventh crown at the O2 in November.
"Returning to the season finale is something I've been a part of since 2002, so to do it again is a privilege and I will try to play my very best there. I hope I can save some of my best for last," world No.3 Federer said.
Federer is enjoying a fine return to form in 2014 as his triumph in Cincinnati was his third victory of the year. The record 17-time Grand Slam champion won in Halle and Dubai and has already been to eight finals.
The 33-year-old struggled with a back problem for the majority of 2013 and slipped to eighth in the world rankings, only winning one title and suffering shock early-round losses at the major events.
Last year, Federer only confirmed his place at the World Tour Finals a week before the start of the tournament by reaching the second round of the Paris Masters.
But this time around, his spot in the eight-man field has been secured early.
"It's always one of the big goals I set myself at the beginning of the season," Federer said.
"It's always an absolute honour being part of the best eight. Getting a chance to win an extra trophy at the end of the season - which is so prestigious, one of the biggest ones we have in the game and one I've done so well at - is a great feeling."