White wants massive Weidman-Silva rematchJuly 9, 2013
A rematch between newly crowned UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva will be "the biggest fight in UFC history," according to UFC president Dana White, but it's unlikely to take place in 2013.
White told the Los Angeles Times on Monday he was "very tempted" to book the rematch to headline UFC 168 on December 28 in Las Vegas, but later retracted the statement, saying it would occur on a date to be determined.
A previously announced female bantamweight title fight between Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate will remain the UFC 168 main event.
Another potential date mentioned for the middleweight rematch was Super Bowl weekend next year, when the UFC is planning to host a card in Newark.
White, though, expressed some concern on hosting an event of this magnitude on that weekend.
"I'm thinking, why have a card that conflicts with the Super Bowl on Fox?" said White. "We want our own date for this massive fight with no conflicts."
The Fox Network has been official broadcast partners with the UFC since early 2012.
Weidman (10-0) delivered a shocking upset on Saturday, knocking out Silva (33-4) in the second round of their title fight in Las Vegas. The loss broke a UFC-record 16-fight win streak for Silva and was his first in the promotion.
Silva, 38, said he needed time to think about his next move immediately after the fight. The Brazilian signed a 10-fight extension with the UFC earlier this year.
"Right now, I'm thinking about going home," Silva said. "I want to be with my kids. I want to take some time off, maybe three or four months, and think about what I'm going to do."