UFC fire T. Silva after reported SWAT stand-off, arrest

February 7, 2014
Thiago Silva was arrested Thursday after barricading himself inside his home, according to reports © Getty Images

The UFC terminated their contract with Thiago Silva on Friday as the light heavyweight fighter remains in police custody without bond on multiple felony charges after a court appearance in Florida.

Judge John Hurley reduced two charges of attempted murder to aggravated assault with a firearm, stemming from an incident involving Silva on Thursday evening. He also ruled that Silva be held without bond as he still represents a threat.

Silva, a Brazilian citizen, was also deemed a potential flight risk. In addition to the aggravated assault charges, he is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and resisting arrest without violence.

According to police records read in court on Friday, Silva allegedly confronted his wife of 13 years, Thaysa, from his vehicle, which was outside of Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts Academy on Thursday in Oakland Park, Florida.

Police allege Silva then produced a firearm and told his wife that she had "10 seconds to bring out Pablo," or he would go into the gym and start shooting everyone. An adult class was in session at the time of the incident.

Silva and his wife separated in 2012.

Popovitch emerged from the school, but retreated moments later and called 911. Silva, who allegedly was intoxicated, fled to his home in neighbouring Fort Lauderdale, where he was arrested following a non-violent stand-off with a SWAT team.

In his deliberations with the court, Silva's attorney, Scott Saul, conceded probable cause to the aggravated assault charges but argued against the attempted murder charges. He called them an "overreaction because of what the man does for a living."

The incident is the latest in a string of domestic violence incidents involving the couple.

According to court documents read aloud on Friday, police responded to a 911 call at the estranged couple's home on January 30. During that incident, Silva allegedly threw his wife onto a sofa and pointed a "silver coloured revolver" at her. He then allegedly put the firearm in her mouth.

On February 5, the woman called 911 after allegedly receiving threatening text messages from Silva, one of which stated he would hire someone to kill her.

Silva said little during the court proceedings. He did correct Judge Hurley at one point on the pronunciation of his wife's name.

The UFC released a statement on Friday that they had terminated Silva's contract. Silva, 31, had been scheduled to fight at UFC 171 on March 15 in Dallas.

This article first appeared on ESPN.com

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd