Blues announce return to Arms Park
February 7, 2012
Ben Blair will hope to run out at the Arms Park on Friday © Getty Images
The Cardiff Blues have announced that they will play this Friday's RaboDirect PRO12 fixture against Connacht at the Cardiff Arms Park.
The Blues have previously dismissed that they are looking to return to the Arms Park on a permament basis, but with falling attendances at their Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff will line up at their nostalgic home once again. The Blues moved to their current ground back in 2009, but they will look to build on their run of six wins from seven when facing Connacht on Friday at the Arms Park.
Cardiff Blues CEO Richard Holland has revealed that supporter pressure was one reason behind the decision to switch back to the Arms Park on a one-match basis.
"There are no long term plans in place to move back to the Arms Park permanently, however, we have listened to what our supporters are saying and it should be a great occasion to play this match at the Arms Park," Holland said. "Hopefully there will be a good crowd there on Friday night. Obviously Cardiff Blues still have a 20 year lease in place at the Cardiff City Stadium and moving the Connacht match to the Arms Park has no impact on this agreement."
"These are difficult economic times and we have to explore ways of creating a sustainable future for the region."
Cardiff Blues Chairman Peter Thomas added: "I am pleased that the club is exploring all available options to us and playing this match at the Arms Park shows that we are listening to our fanbase. The licensing constraint means that 8,000 is the maximum capacity we can have on the night, so I hope we have a large crowd there to enjoy the evening."
WRU Chief Executive Roger Lewis said: "The WRU applauds and supports this initiative from the Cardiff Blues. In these tough times all of their options need to be considered. It is a bold move and deserves credit."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Communication error please reload the page.