Wales 16-34 New Zealand
All Blacks' late surge breaks Wales
PA Sport
November 22, 2014
Date/Time: Nov 22, 2014, 17:30 local, 17:30 GMT
Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Wales 16 - 34 New Zealand
Attendance: 73500  Half-time: 3 - 3
Tries: Webb
Cons: Halfpenny
Pens: Halfpenny 3
Tries: Barrett 2, Kaino, Read, Savea
Cons: Barrett, Slade 2
Pens: Barrett
Beauden Barrett dives over for the first of his two tries against Wales, Wales v New Zealand, Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, November 22, 2014
Beauden Barrett dives over the line for the first of his two tries against Wales
© Getty Images

Wales suffered yet another gallant defeat to southern hemisphere opposition as world champions New Zealand left it late to turn on the style in Cardiff.

New Zealand had not lost to Wales since 1953 but Warren Gatland's side were dreaming of a historic win against the All Blacks when they led 16-15 with 11 minutes remaining.

But Welsh hopes disappeared as the All Blacks finally discovered their ruthless streak to run in three tries in the final moments and finish their year on a successful note.

Richie McCaw - making his 100th Test appearance as All Blacks captain - received a huge ovation from the Cardiff crowd as he took his place in rugby history and the Welsh players stood motionless shoulder to shoulder as the All Blacks went through their pre-match haka ritual.

Wales won some early penalties to build pressure and Roberts made ground through the centre. New Zealand infringed at a ruck and Halfpenny landed a straightforward seventh-minute kick which took him past 400 points for his country.

New Zealand got a shove on at scrum time, but Taulupe Faletau rescued a tricky situation and the All Blacks were unable to find their usual rhythm in the opening exchanges.

Wales were looking for Roberts to make hard yards and they were presented with a terrific opportunity when an All Blacks midfield passage broke down. Davies booted the ball forward but George North was unable to connect and set up a foot race with an empty half to run into.

The All Blacks had barely broken into the Welsh 22 in the opening 20 minutes and their lethargy was reflected by Barrett missing an angled penalty from 25 metres after Alun Wyn Jones was spotted offside at a ruck.

But Barrett was more successful from halfway after 23 minutes when Wales loosehead prop Paul James was penalised for a second time collapsing the scrum.

English referee Wayne Barnes gave James an official warning when the scrum went down again but Warburton got the capacity crowd off its feet when he charged down the middle and only a forward pass possibly stopped wing Alex Cuthbert into the corner.

Much of New Zealand's attacking play had been ragged in the face of resilient Welsh defence and the All Blacks were again denied in the final play of the half when centre Sonny Bill Williams knocked on close to the try line.

Wales 16-34 New Zealand (video available in Australia only)

There were signs just before the break that New Zealand were turning up the heat and the All Blacks were rewarded within three minutes of the re-start after turning over ball close to the Welsh line.

Cuthbert went for the glory interception, but paid the price as the ball broke free for Julian Savea to shrug off Dan Biggar and score his 30th try in 33 Tests and Barrett converted for a 10-3 lead.

But Wales were behind for only two minutes as Biggar made ground in the visitors' 22, Rhys Webb recycled and Faletau charged through the All Blacks defence.

Webb was waiting on Faletau's shoulder to take the try-scoring pass and Halfpenny converted to level the scores at 10-10.

New Zealand were rattled and hooker Dane Coles lost his composure to grab Webb by the throat after Aaron Smith was penalised and Halfpenny soon put Wales ahead with a 35-minute penalty to raise the decibel levels still further.

New Zealand were on the ropes and getting knocked back in midfield but McCaw was held up after a touchline dash and when the ball was recycled Barrett found Conrad Smith with a cross-field kick, and the centre put over the supporting Jerome Kaino for a simple score.

Barrett missed the conversion and it looked costly when Halfpenny slotted over another penalty to put Wales 16-15 ahead with 15 minutes remaining.

But New Zealand broke down the blindside with 11 minutes remaining for Barrett to put in a little chip and the bounce deceived Halfpenny to fall perfectly for the outside-half who gathered his own kick to score, with replacement Colin Slade converting.

Wales now had to chase the game in the final 10 minutes and there was more misery when Kieran Read charged down Mike Phillips' attempted clearance and Slade converted before Barrett squeezed in at the corner to put a false gloss on the scoreline.

Richie McCaw runs out - alone - to mark his 100th Test as New Zealand captain © Getty Images
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.