Magners League
Blues close out bonus-point win
PA Sport
February 20, 2009
Date/Time: Feb 20, 2009, 19:05 local, 19:05 GMT
Venue: Cardiff Arms Park
Cardiff Blues 34 - 30 Glasgow
Half-time: 21 - 6
Tries: Hewitt, James, JP Robinson 2
Cons: Blair 4
Pens: Blair 2
Tries: Jackson, Shaw, Stortoni
Cons: Parks 3
Pens: Parks 3
Cardiff Blues centre Jamie Robinson runs with the ball, Cardiff Blues v Leicester Tigers, Anglo-Welsh Cup, Cardiff Arms Park, October 25, 2008
Jamie Robinson bagged two tries for the home side
© Getty Images
Related Links
Players/Officials: Jamie Robinson

Cardiff Blues claimed revenge for their shock 28-0 defeat in Scotland last November but a second-half comeback by Glasgow shook the home side and had the Arms Park crowd on the edge of their seat during the latters stages of this Magners League encounter.

An aerial bombardment by Glasgow fly-half Dan Parks led to two tries at the start of the second-half but the Blues' dominance at close quarters and greater penetration behind saw them home in the end. Even though Parks gave Glasgow an early lead with a long-range penalty, the Blues swept down field to claim three tries in 13 minutes.

Flying winger Tom James, on his first appearance since his red card in a Heineken Cup tie with Gloucester in January, cut inside to take a neat Ben Blair pass and dart through despairing arms to score the first try. Inside centre Dafydd Hewitt grabbed his opportunity of a rare outing to side-step and jink his way over for the second.

His midfield partner, Jamie Robinson, who is rumoured to be leaving the Arms Park in the summer to play in France for Toulon, ended a flowing move by dummying his way past Glasgow fullback Bernardo Stortoni to complete the first-half blitz.

Blair converted all three and there were further blows for the visitors with flankers Kelly Brown and Stevie Swindall both leaving through injury. Brown, a Scotland substitute in Paris last weekend, took a blow to the head, which must be a worry for national coach Frank Hadden. Parks kicked a second penalty before half-time, but his side had to defend grimly to avoid conceding a bonus point before the break.

Yet it was Glasgow who claimed the first touchdown of the second period, although it was a gift from Blues scrum-half Jason Spice, who failed to hold onto Parks' kick ahead. Welsh winger Hefin O'Hare snaffled the loose ball and sent centre Ruaridh Jackson in for a try which Parks converted. Another up-and-under from the fly-half then caused more chaos, dropping in the Blues in-goal area. Blair, under pressure, fumbled the ball and it fell invitingly for Stortoni to touch down.

Parks again added the extras and it was only a brace of Blair penalties that kept the home side in front. The Blues gradually regained control, however, and Robinson, earlier denied a second try by a forward pass, claimed their fourth try on the word of the TV official. Blair's conversion extended the lead to a more comfortable 14 points.

But Glasgow were still not finished, Parks kicking another penalty and converting an injury-time touchdown by wing Colin Shaw before the final whistle brought relief to the home camp.

Cardiff Blues: Ben Blair, Gareth Thomas, Jamie Robinson, Dafydd Hewitt, Tom James; Ceri Sweeney, Jason Spice; John Yapp, Gareth Williams, Taufa'ao Filise, Bradley Davies, Paul Tito (capt), Maama Molitika, Robin Sowden Taylor, Xavier Rush

Replacements: Gary Powell, Ross Johnson, Deiniol Jones, Ben White, Richie Rees, Nicky Robinson, Richard Mustoe

Glasgow Warriors: Bernardo Stortoni, Hefin O'Hare, Jose Maria Nunez Piossek, Ruaridh Jackson, Colin Shaw; Dan Parks, Mark McMillan; Justin Va'a, Dougie Hall, Moray Low, Dan Turner, Alastair Kellock (capt), Stevie Swindall, Kelly Brown, Johnnie Beattie

Replacements: Fergus Thomson, Ed Kalman, Opeta Palepoi, Calum Forrester, Colin Gregor, Chris Kinloch, Peter Horne


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.