• FA Cup round-up

Van Persie rescues Man United in FA Cup

ESPN staff
January 5, 2013
Robin van Persie struck in injury-time for Manchester United © Getty Images

This season, the FA Cup is live on ESPN all the way to the final at Wembley. Click for details on how to subscribe

The FA Cup third round threw up plenty of surprises on Saturday - but 11-time winners Manchester United made sure they were not one of them as Robin van Persie scored an injury-time equaliser at West Ham. Newcastle, Wolves, Cardiff and Nottingham Forest were all dumped out by lower league opposition, but Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham all advanced to round four.

League leaders Manchester United travelled to West Ham still capable of winning the Treble this season, but they trailed 2-1 after 90 minutes thanks to a James Collins brace. United looked out of ideas but they had a ready made rescue act in Van Persie, who produced a sublime piece of control to snatch a 2-2 draw in injury-time.

It had all looked so easy for United in the opening 25 minutes, with Danny Welbeck seeing a goal disallowed before Tom Cleverley clipped home a lovely finish from Javier Hernandez's low cross. But Cole crossed from the left for Collins to equalise before half-time, and the pair produced an absolute carbon copy effort in the second half to lead.

United looked set for defeat, but Van Persie drove him a late leveller with his right foot to earn a replay at Old Trafford.

Rafael Benitez saw new signing Demba Ba score twice as Chelsea reacted to their shock midweek loss to QPR with a 5-1 win at Southampton. Benitez, who won the FA Cup in 2006 with Liverpool, fielded a strong side featuring Eden Hazard and Juan Mata, and he was rewarded as the Blues came from behind thanks to goals from Ba(2), Victor Moses, Branislav Ivanovic and Frank Lampard.

Chelsea made a sloppy start at St Mary's, giving away possession regularly, and Jay Rodriguez struck in the 22nd minute after Jason Puncheon's pass. However, the European champions were level in the 35th minute as Ba opened his account by poking home Mata's goalbound effort, before Moses drilled home for a half-time lead. Mata created Chelsea's third for Ivanovic, and there was still time for Ba to add to his highly promising debut before Lampard netted from the spot.

Five-time winners Manchester City left Mario Balotelli on the bench following his public bust-up with Roberto Mancini, but a strong starting XI breezed past Watford 3-0 at the Etihad Stadium. Joe Hart was the only major name given a rest by Mancini, who saw his threadbare squad triumph thanks to goals from Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry and Marcos Lopes.

Balotelli sat on the bench next to Scott Sinclair - the man he fouled in training to spark the fracas, and he saw Tevez open the scoring in the 25th minute with a drilled free-kick. Barry then headed home James Milner's cross on the stroke of the interval before Lopes added a third.

Tottenham left the in-form Aaron Lennon among the substitutes as they thrashed Coventry 3-0 in a rematch of the famous 1987 final meeting between the two sides. Andre Villas-Boas is looking for his first trophy in English football and will lead his team into the fourth round thanks to goals from Clint Dempsey(2) and Gareth Bale.

The Spurs opener was fairly simple for Dempsey who converted from close range after Bale sent his initial header goalwards. Bale then notched the second as the home side overran their visitors, before the goalscorers combined for the third as Dempsey netted his second from Bale's corner.

Newcastle's nightmare season continued as Brighton delivered the first giant-killing act of the afternoon, beating the Magpies 2-0 on home soil. Andrea Orlandi scored the Brighton opener, spinning and flicking the ball past Rob Elliot in the 33rd minute. Shola Ameobi then saw red early in the second half after histrionics from David Lopez, and Brighton killed the game off when Will Hoskins lost his marker to slot under Elliot.

Result of the day was arguably produced by Paul Buckle's Conference outfit Luton, who beat Wolves 1-0 at Kenilworth Road. Championship side Wolves fell behind a minute into the second half through Alex Lawless' strike, and that proved enough for Luton to book their place in round four.

Carlos Tevez opened the scoring at Manchester City © PA Photos

Fellow Conference side Macclesfield rivalled Luton's efforts after they launched a comeback to beat Championship Cardiff 2-1. Macclesfield trailed with five minutes remaining, but Matthew Barnes-Homer equalised before scoring the winner from the spot.

Wigan avoided embarrassment as they came from behind to draw 1-1 with League One Bournemouth, who once famously upset Manchester United at this stage of the competition. Roberto Martinez's team almost suffered a repeat at the DW Stadium, but a dubious penalty decision allowed Jordi Gomez to cancel out Eunan O'Kane's long-range strike.

An upset was also avoided by Fulham, who turned in a dire display but still drew 1-1 with Blackpool at Craven Cottage courtesy of Giorgos Karagounis' equaliser. Championship side Bolton were also frustrated by Sunderland, as goals from Connor Wickham and Craig Gardner saw the Black Cats come from two down to draw 2-2 at the Reebok Stadium.

Nottingham Forest saw a one-goal lead snatched away as League One Oldham shocked the two-time winners 3-2. Robbie Simpson was twice on the scoresheet for Oldham before Jose Baxter netted a third as Forest had Danny Collins sent off.

Aston Villa, who are already in the Capital One Cup semi-finals, began their bid for a dual cup assault with a 2-1 win at home to Championship strugglers Ipswich. Paul Lambert's side were stunned by Michael Chopra's first-half opener, but Darren Bent responded 45 seconds into the second period before Andreas Weimann won it seven minutes from time.

Harry Redknapp, who won the FA Cup with Portsmouth in 2008, will take QPR into the draw for round four after they drew 1-1 against West Brom at Loftus Road. Looking to build on their incredible win at Chelsea, the league's bottom side fell behind to Shane Long's late strike but levelled in the last minute through Kieron Dyer.

Andrea Orlandi netted Brighton's opener with a superb finish © PA Photos

Crystal Palace starlet Wilfried Zaha failed to inspire a victory as Stoke earned a 0-0 draw at Selhurst Park. Zaha is reportedly being courted by Manchester United and Arsenal, but neither he nor Michael Owen could find the net as the sides settled for a replay.

League One Crawley Town, who are currently challenging for a play-off spot in league competition, scored one of the fastest goals in FA Cup history but eventually lost 3-1 to Premier League strugglers Reading at Broadfield Stadium. The Royals were stunned by Nicky Adams' strike after 14 seconds, but hit back through Adam Le Fondre(2) and Noel Hunt.

Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson will not face father Sir Alex in round four after Norwich won 3-0 at London Road. The Canaries booked their place in the next round thanks to goals from Elliott Bennett, Simeon Jackson and Robert Snodgrass.

Isthmian League Premier Division outfit Hastings, the lowest ranked team left in the competition, gave a good account of themselves despite losing 4-1 to Middlesbrough. Hastings keeper Liam O'Brien saved a first half penalty from Ishmael Miller, but they were eventually undone by strikes from Merouane Zemmama(2), Andy Halliday and Miller.

Other teams to reach round four included Leicester, Derby, Blackburn, Aldershot, Huddersfield, Millwall, Barnsley and Sheffield United.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.