Haas expects team decision soon
Gene Haas believes a decision on his bid to form an F1 team for 2015 could be made in the next fortnight after a "pretty intense" meeting with the FIA.
Haas has pressed ahead with his plans despite warnings from Bernie Ecclestone it would be "most unlikely" such a venture would succeed. But Haas, who co-owns a NASCAR team, had talks with the FIA in Geneva after the Daytona 500, where he admits he was asked to give a thorough account of his application.
"They have a very - I want to call it - formal way of processing applications in the sense that there is no application," Haas said. "But they wanted to meet with us. It was about an hour and a half meeting where they asked us a lot of questions about how we intend to do this, how do we intend to pay for it, what are the logistics of how you're going to do this.
"We answered those questions as best we could. I was there. Joe Custer was there. Gunther Steiner was there. [The FIA are] pretty intense. They had a lot of good questions. I think what they do is they take that information, evaluate it, make their recommendations to I think it's the F1's owners association or next group of people, and the process goes on."
Haas was expecting a decision to be made last week but he insists he is still confident his application can be successful despite the delay.
"They said they were going to have a decision by Friday," said Haas. "They notified us on Friday that, no, they were just one part of that decision-making process, that the decision making process would come later.
"They didn't give us an exact date, but hopefully it will be in another week or two, maybe even longer. From what I've learned talking to other people, this is fairly normal. There are lots of dates they have. They don't really make a decision until they're sure what they want the decision to be."