• Tyre news

Pirelli inches closer to deal as Michelin backs down

ESPNF1 Staff
June 14, 2010 « Another problematic race for Williams | »
With Bridgestone pulling out, there is still no decision on who will replace it in 2011 © Getty Images
Enlarge

Michelin has all but ruled out the possibility of returning to Formula One as a tyre supplier in 2011 due to the shortage of time left to develop a tyre.

"The development time for 2011 seems very compromised now," managing partner Didier Miraton said at Le Mans. "It is probably too late for the deadlines of next year. We have intervened to help, modestly, but at the rate things are going, I'm pessimistic."

He added that his company had been put off by the lack of interest from the paddock to allow a tyre war.

"When there is only one manufacturer, there is no competition, no progress, no pleasure and the interest in the manufacturer is low," said Miraton.

The news means Pirelli has inched even closer to securing a deal for 2011. The firm's competition director Paul Hembery was in talks with the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) in Canada over the weekend, and contracts are believed to have been drawn up and signed with Bernie Ecclestone some days ago. The final hurdle is the signing off by the FIA's legal department.

Close