De Villota makes first public appearance after accident
Maria de Villota has spoken publically for the first time since her horrifying accident at Duxford aerodrome earlier this year.
De Villota suffered serious head injuries and lost an eye after crashing into the rear of a truck during a straight-line test for Marussia. She still has operations to go but has made a strong recovery and on Thursday talked to the media about the moment she discovered she had lost her eye.
"In that very moment, I looked at the doctor and asked 'Are you a surgeon?' He said 'Yes, I am'. I replied 'Do you need both hands to perform?' and he said 'Yes I do, yes.' I said 'Well, I'm a Formula One driver and I need two eyes'. And I told the doctor that it should have been my decision to remove the eye, as if the poor man had a choice."
But she said her accident and ongoing recovery has made her focus on life outside of F1.
"When you see how your family and your boyfriend look at you, it's like you're a miracle," she added. "And then you realise that you see more than before. Because before I could only see Formula One, I could only see myself in a car competing and I couldn't see how important life is. Now I think I'm alive and I'm able to value the importance of being saved by the doctors."