- Premier League
Suarez refuses to apologise
Luis Suarez will refuse to apologise to manager Brendan Rodgers over his attempts to force a move away from Liverpool.
The striker has given a series of interviews since the end of May declaring his wish to leave Anfield. Liverpool, though, have made clear that they have no intention of selling him - and the dispute has escalated to the extent that Suarez, 26, is now being forced to train on his own.
Rodgers said last week that Suarez will not be allowed to re-join the rest of the first-team squad until he apologises for his behaviour.
But sources close to the Uruguay international have indicated to ESPN that the striker will not back down.
Suarez believes he has been betrayed by both the club and the manager, suggesting in interviews with UK and Spanish newspapers last week that he had been promised a year ago that he could leave if Liverpool failed to qualify for this coming season's Champions League.
Both Rodgers and Liverpool have dismissed those claims, insisting that they are under no obligation to sell the Uruguay international.
Arsenal have had two bids for Suarez rejected, including an offer of £40,000,001, made on July 23 in the apparent belief that it would trigger a release clause in his contract.
Liverpool insist that there is no such clause - a view backed by the Professional Footballers' Association, which has attempted to mediate in the dispute.
John W Henry, the club's principle owner, has declared publicly that it would be "ludicrous" to sell Suarez to Arsenal - a club he sees as rivals for a Champions League place. Henry has also contacted Gunners chief executive Ivan Gazidis to make the same point.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said on Friday that his club would act in "a respectful and amicable way" in their pursuit of Suarez.
"We are looking at possibilities to strengthen our squad," Wenger said. "Suarez is one of the targets. If he's not for sale, he's not for sale. We have to accept that."
Suarez will miss the start of the Premier League season, as he has six matches to serve on a 10-game domestic ban imposed after he bit Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a fixture at Anfield on April 21.