• Premier League

Allardyce left fuming while Newcastle pay the penalty

ESPN staff
April 19, 2014
Sam Allardyce was left furious with Pablo Armero for his challenge on Cameron Jerome © Getty Images

An afternoon of penalties helped settle the scores on a busy Saturday of Premier League action, which left several frustrated managers questioning the refereeing decisions from their respective games.

West Ham were downed by a single spot-kick as a revitalised Crystal Palace continued their recent good form under Tony Pulis, while Hammers fans were not shy in showing their displeasure after the final whistle.

Cameron Jerome was clipped by Pablo Armero in the area, a challenge that Sam Allardyce was not too pleased with, and Mile Jedinak converted to move Pulis' side closer to the top ten.

"It was stupid penalty conceded by Pablo Armero for the winning goal," Allardyce told the BBC. "Setting out your plans is all very well, but you cannot make allowances for that.

"He didn't need to make that challenge and Crystal Palace are set out to take advantage when you make a mistake like that. We put every effort in but could not put the ball into the back of the net.

"We had to take chances when they came our way and in that department we failed miserably today. There was no more unhappiness from that fans than I had at Blackburn, Newcastle or Bolton. If you don't win fans don't like it, especially at home."

Two penalties came in Cardiff's 1-1 draw at home to Stoke; Mark Hughes' side controversially took the lead through Marko Arnautovic after Peter Odemwingie was felled in the box. Needless to say, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did not agree and stated that former Bluebirds striker Odemwingie had "fallen over."

"Stoke's was not a penalty," Solskjaer said. "The referee has to make a decision there and then you have to accept it. He has fallen over, but the referee gave a penalty.

"All the players were incensed but it was important we kept cool and tried to do the right things. These boys have a never-say-die attitude. We got momentum after we got the goal.

"It is a good point, but we have to thank our goalkeeper for saving a point for us at the end. With a defeat it would have been difficult to get the boys back up but now we have a very, very good chance."

Cardiff's Peter Whittingham equalised from 12 yards after Steven Nzonzi brought down Fraizer Campbell. Like his managerial counterpart, Mark Hughes was in a mood to debate.

"We are frustrated given the chances we had at the end," Hughes said. "We thought the penalty against us was soft, Cardiff will say similar with regards to our penalty but I dispute that.

"We are disappointed that we didn't win given the control we had. We could not make it maximum points, but we move on."

Gary Monk was left relieved as Swansea improved their chances of survival with a 2-1 victory at Newcastle, their winner coming from a Wilfried Bony penalty in added time.

"We started well in the first 20 minutes, but then they got the goal and we got a bit sloppy in our passing," Monk said. "Thankfully, our second goal was a penalty. It was good to get those rewards. We've played a lot better than we've done today and come away with nothing.

"It's been a difficult season and very inconsistent for the standards we've set. We're just trying to get a job done and these three points go a long way to doing that."

However, Alan Pardew, who was absent from the touchline in the last of his eight-game touchline ban for headbutting Hull's David Meyler, stated that if he was not sat in the stands, he could have prevented Bony's winner.

"I'm pretty sure I would have stopped that last goal if I'd have been there [on the touchline]," Pardew said. "But that's how it is sometimes, when a manager's not on the sidelines in those important moments towards the end of the game.

"I would like to think I could've influenced that, but obviously I couldn't do that."

Howard Webb awarded two penalties in Cardiff's draw with Stoke - one to each side © Getty Images
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
ESPN staff Close