- Premier League
De Boer insists approach made
Frank de Boer has cast doubt on Tottenham's claim they haven't approached him about taking over from Tim Sherwood in the summer.
Spurs denied making any contact with De Boer last week, after the Ajax manager said he would hold talks with officials from White Hart Lane.
But the club's stance - "We have not contacted any club regarding coaching appointments" - have been undermined by De Boer, who admitted he is interested in taking over from Tim Sherwood in the summer.
"They talked informally with Ajax about my contract," De Boer told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think they are quite happy with their manager, but it is normal that they get information about a possible successor, as have Liverpool in the past. Liverpool had four candidates and asked me if I was interested. That time I said I wanted to stay at Ajax.
"I'm very happy here, but if a club came with an interesting perspective and a good team, I would consider the proposal. I want to understand what contribution I could give."
De Boer insisted earlier this week that he had heard nothing from Spurs since he initially claimed their interest and an earlier contender for the job, Louis van Gaal, was said to have angered chairman Daniel Levy by going public with the news he had met the club for talks.
Asked after he had spoken about Spurs whether he regretted it, De Boer said: "No, why should I? I was interviewed and gave a honest answer.
"There were already rumours for a long time. So I thought within a couple of seconds, I should speak with openness.
"It is very quiet here on my phone, and also for my agent. I am not busy with all that," De Boer added to Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad. "My contract with Ajax runs until 2017, so until that time I will only think about Ajax or serious offers"
The situation, De Boer's claims following those of other managers, has angered Spurs head coach Sherwood, who said lies are being told about his future at the club and that he has been left disappointed by persistent claims from rivals.
That has not stopped Spurs from being linked to other managerial candidates. They are also reportedly ready to test Everton's resolve by sounding out Roberto Martinez about taking over at the club after just one season at Goodison Park.
Mauricio Pochettino, another man believed to be on Spurs' shortlist, will hold talks with his club, Southampton, at the end of the season. His future with the club has been in doubt since Nicola Cortese resigned as executive chairman in January.
The club's executive director Les Reed told the BBC the discussions will take place after Sunday's final Premier League fixture at home to Manchester United.
"Mauricio has made it clear as soon as Sunday's game is out of the way we will sit down and continue the discussions we will be having," said Reed.
"He wanted to achieve the record points total and focus on the games and nothing else. This is one of the issues of being successful, everyone is attracting attention."