Hodgson 'devastated' but has no regrets
Roy Hodgson insists he has no regrets about the way he approached this summer's World Cup finals, despite England's elimination after just two games.
Costa Rica's win against Italy on Friday confirmed that England would exit a World Cup at the group stage for the first time since 1958, yet Hodgson tried to find some positives in a desperately disappointing campaign for his team.
"Results colour everything," Hodgson said. "We've worked so hard, done so much preparation for this tournament. We think we came here well-prepared but we've failed.
Costa Rica boss targets England win
- Costa Rica's Colombian coach Jorge Luis Pinto says he is keen for his side to complete the unlikeliest of clean sweeps in Group D.
- Los Ticos have already upset the odds in the 2014 World Cup by beating Uruguay and Italy, as well as qualifying for the round of 16 and sending England home.
- They face Roy Hodgson's on Tuesday, and Pinto said: "Of course we want to win the next match now and I must ask my players to keep calm and play just as well.
- "We knew that we could make history for Costa Rica and today we have done that. That's what I told my players today -- let's change history.
- "It was a beautiful match and the people of Costa Rica deserve this day. They have supported the team and me and this was for them."
"We obviously had really big hopes we were going to make the nation proud by going far in the tournament and we haven't done that so any words on any other subjects are pretty empty at the moment.
"To make an impact you've got to win games and we've lost both our games. I'm proud of the way they've approached it and everything they put into it. I'm just devastated they got nothing out of it. I'm very low and so are the players."
FA chairman Greg Dyke has confirmed that Hodgson will hang on to his job for the European Championship qualifiers later this year, with the former Liverpool manager eager to highlight what he views as the steps forward made by England in the last few months.
When asked whether he has made a mistake by including so many young players in his squad, Hodgson responded: "I absolutely believe it was the right way to do it with these players," he added.
"I believe the team going forward will be a very good team. I think there are good young players. The team is evolving. It will evolve, of course. I don't think there's any need to doubt that this England group of players will go on to do good things in the time ahead."
Hodgson was philosophical when asked whether his side's attack minded approach had been to blame for their demise, he defended his tactics.
"To say we got caught between two approaches would be a very harsh judgment on what we've seen in 180 minutes," he added. "You can make any of those things work for you, if you want to. But you won't convince me that that's been the case.
"We've had an approach. The approach has not wavered, but we've conceded four goals and scored two. It's not much more complicated than that."