• Force India news

Liuzzi speculation rekindled by vacancy comment

ESPNF1 Staff
October 6, 2010 « Johnny Cecotto junior eyes F1 seat | »
Tonio Luizzi: 'I'm not worried by the speculation in the press' © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Speculation over the future of Tonio Luizzi has increased after Force India's operating officer told Autosport there was a seat up for grabs in 2011.

Liuzzi, who has a contract which runs to the end of next season, told ESPNF1 last week that he was not worried by rumours he was going to be ditched. ""In a few weeks more information will come out," he said, "but I'm not worried by the speculation in the press in the meantime."

However, Otmar Szafnauer, Force India's chief operating officer, said: "We haven't made any decisions yet on where we go. I think we have got the luxury of being able to assess the situation and make a decision. But there is a seat available."

It is widely believed Paul di Resta has secured a deal to race in 2011, which means only one seat would be available for Adrian Sutil and Liuzzi. Sutil is undoubtedly the No. 1 driver, but he has been linked with possible moves to Renault or Mercedes.

Asked about de Resta's position in 2011, Liuzzi replied: "That would mean that Adrian is out because I have a contract."

Close