- German Grand Prix
Hockenheim will host 2015 German GP - Ecclestone
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone says Hockenheim will host the 2015 German Grand Prix after failing to reach a deal with the Nurburgring.
Since 2008 Hockenheim and Nurburgring have alternated as hosts of the race but the latter admitted this week it had no contract in place for this year. The 2015 calendar did not specify a venue for the July 19 race, leading to speculation the Nurburgring could be dropped as the host venue.
On Thursday Ecclestone confirmed this is the case and he is working on a deal with Hockenheim, which hosted consecutive races between 1986 and 2006, to stage this year's grand prix.
"It's going to be at Hockenheim, we're in the middle of doing something with them," Ecclestone told Reuters. "It can't be Nurburgring because there's nobody there. We've got a contract in place [with Hockenheim], we just have to amend the years of the contract. It was alternating with Nurburgring so we'll just take that out."
Ecclestone tried to buy the Nurburgring last year but he said he was frustrated by his failure to do so.
"We wanted to buy the Nurburgring, we made an offer and somebody topped us with a few dollars and bought it. And then they couldn't pay and it went on sale again. I said I'd be interested and then they found somebody else. So I don't know what's happening."