- Horse Racing
Dettori slapped with six-month ban
Frankie Dettori has been banned from riding for six months after testing positive for a banned substance at Longchamp in September.
The Italian was suspended by France Galop last month after giving a positive sample at Longchamp on September 16.
The stewards of France Galop met in the presence of Dettori's legal team on Tuesday, in what was described as a "sympathetic hearing", but it was not until Wednesday that it emerged that Dettori would be suspended for six months.
"France Galop have today announced their finding Frankie Dettori has committed a breach of their rules relating to prohibited substances," Dettori's solicitor Christopher Stewart-Moore said in a statement.
"I have spoken to Frankie since the announcement was made and he has told me he fully accepts France Galop's decision.
"He also accepts that he has let down the sport he loves and all those associated with it, as well as the wider public. But most of all, and this is his greatest regret, he has let down his wife and children."
Dettori's suspension will run from November 20 until May 19, 2013, meaning he will be eligible to ride in The Derby at Epsom next June.